Power Window Mechanism

curlybare

There were 3 different setups for the regulator/motor assemblies. I believe 1/1988-6/1990 shared the same design and then a different one was used from 7/1990-1995. I think the difference is only in how the motor mates to the regulator from 1988-1995, but the 1987s used a different regulator all together.

your best bet is to get a whole new unit that features a roller instead of a glide for the upper cable.

gravity helps it on the way down so the lower glide lasts but the uper one cuts thru with use untill it drops the cable and either wraps up the motor or does like yous is doing.

i had the same problem.....try doing this first before you look at new motors and stuff. go to all your switchs and pop them apart. then make sure all the connections are good. on mine the rear passenger side window would go down but not up unless i really messed with it. well i bought a new mtor and it still did it so i went and took all my switches out and cleaned the connections (mainly the front drivers one) and BAM it worked fine ever since. I ended up just returning the new motor i ordered. I think this worked becasue all the other swlitchs must run off of the drivers one or something idk. Try that first if it doesnt work then i guess look for a new motor/roller.

(this is what led me to think it was the switchs not the motor idk if i recommend it)if u want to see if your motor is bad then figure out which wire goes to the motor and has power when u tell it to roll down and which one tells it to roll up and switch them. that way u can see. what this will do is if u flip them is when u push down it should roll up and if u push up it should roll down. (if its the switches then the symtoms you orginally had should be fliped then u know) I did this and figured out it was not getting power when pushing up because my front switch was corroded once i cleaned it it worked great and i switched the wires back to the way it was and was good to go. make sure u sodder them back together and wrap them in tape so they are protected.

Edited by edicer2

yes, i had the same problem with my passenger front window. It turns out the drivers side door switch harness was loose, but i did learn how to disassemble, service and reassemble a power window regulator lol Test the switches first.

Can you hear the motor trying to do anything when you change directions? If so your regulator cable is most likely twisted up. Mine snapped and you could hear the cables slapping around inside the door panel when trying to move the window.

Can you hear the motor trying to do anything when you change directions? If so your regulator cable is most likely twisted up. Mine snapped and you could hear the cables slapping around inside the door panel when trying to move the window.

The switch works fine. I can feel the cable moving in both directions with my finger. It just doesn't wanna go up. I think the cable broke (but then it wouldn't go in both directions,right) or came off the pulley or guide.