92 V6 Tranny Whine

kcpath

I got home from about a 100 mile highway drive and when I pulled into my driveway I noticed a whine/vibration from the tranny. At first I thought it was something stuck in my wheel well rubbing the tire. The path has 190K. When its at idle in park I can hear it, then when I shift to D or any other gear it goes away if I have the brake on. Then it continues when I accelerate to about 20-25 mph in D and R, 4WD works as normal. It shifts fine and there is no slipping. I changed the fluid and filter about 500 miles ago. The fluid level is a little high, but its nice and red. Any ideas?

old age,every thing gets louder with age(me included)...could it be your rear end...or possbly you cd player(some are loud when off)

Haha...thanks bud! Don't have a cd player in yet. I'm sure its a tranny problem. Other then the noise it drives like it did before it started makin the noise. I just hope its nothing serious. Also not the rear end.

Just noticed the vibration part,could it be something on the cross member thats losend up,my tranny went out a while ago and it was slipping in high rpms(it over heated) but now that I think about it it seemed to whine some before hand(like since I got it)could it be that your not out of four wheel drive,mine would keep the hubs ingauged even after I put the t-case in 2 hi...About all I can say is get a after market tranny cooler and see if that helps,since the stock ones are junk...

Just noticed the vibration part,could it be something on the cross member thats losend up,my tranny went out a while ago and it was slipping in high rpms(it over heated) but now that I think about it it seemed to whine some before hand(like since I got it)could it be that your not out of four wheel drive,mine would keep the hubs ingauged even after I put the t-case in 2 hi...About all I can say is get a after market tranny cooler and see if that helps,since the stock ones are junk...

I've read many posts about replacing the oil cooler, but I'm skeptical of that because my path has 190K Miles, the original cooler through the radiator and its still running strong. If it was a big problem why are so many pathys still running with hundreds of thousands of miles on them with original tranny's? Just a quesiton. Anyway...I will crawl under it tomorrow and look for something loose. Thanks very much! Corey

Thats what I thought too,but mine burnt up off road...if the trannys been flushed a lot and maintained there shouldnt be a problem but if you dont know then I would replace it because the coolers probly packed all full of Sh!t and is on its last legs.A member on hear(sevral I think) all had tranny problems and flushing and changing coolers all fixed it.

I've read many posts about replacing the oil cooler, but I'm skeptical of that because my path has 190K Miles, the original cooler through the radiator and its still running strong. If it was a big problem why are so many pathys still running with hundreds of thousands of miles on them with original tranny's? Just a quesiton. Anyway...I will crawl under it tomorrow and look for something loose. Thanks very much! Corey

an external cooler has worked for many members here, and is required by the instruction manuals for the auto shift kits and rebuild kits.

It has fixed some peoples problems, but not everyone's.

Thats what I thought too,but mine burnt up off road...if the trannys been flushed a lot and maintained there shouldnt be a problem but if you dont know then I would replace it because the coolers probly packed all full of Sh!t and is on its last legs.A member on hear(sevral I think) all had tranny problems and flushing and changing coolers all fixed it.

My tranny had been flushed regularly, the fluid was still fairly reddish and not burnt, and it was not having shifting problems. I figured adding the cooler would just help it live longer, but it in fact failed 2 months after I put the external cooler on.

I honestly don't believe this was because of the cooler though. I'm sure there must have been a problem before which I did not recognize and adding the cooler could not save the tranny.

I didnt have a whine, or weird shifting until 2 days before it blew, so I dont think there is any guaranteed way of saying if yours is about to die or not. However, the whine usually is symbolic of this.

Lots of people have stretched their transmissions lives by putting on the cooler. And for 45 bucks or so, its worth the try.

an external cooler has worked for many members here, and is required by the instruction manuals for the auto shift kits and rebuild kits.

It has fixed some peoples problems, but not everyone's.

My tranny had been flushed regularly, the fluid was still fairly reddish and not burnt, and it was not having shifting problems. I figured adding the cooler would just help it live longer, but it in fact failed 2 months after I put the external cooler on.

I honestly don't believe this was because of the cooler though. I'm sure there must have been a problem before which I did not recognize and adding the cooler could not save the tranny.

I didnt have a whine, or weird shifting until 2 days before it blew, so I dont think there is any guaranteed way of saying if yours is about to die or not. However, the whine usually is symbolic of this.

Lots of people have stretched their transmissions lives by putting on the cooler. And for 45 bucks or so, its worth the try.

i agree, thank you!

I have a 95 with 101k miles on it, the tranny was rebuilt at 80k, and I have owned/driven it for 5k miles. It has a tranny whine that got louder when I installed a body lift (just due to sound escaping I believe). It only whines at slower speeds (<20mph) that I can tell; I'm not sure if sometimes it diminishes or if I just don't hear it any more. :shrug:

I don't worry about it and just drive.

B