I Just Got My Hearing Back

frecklecolouredbrain

It's not unusual to hear assorted drive train noise to a small degree, but once you can easily identify the noise, I'd say take a look. Get the replacement lubricant (I think yours states gear oil), remove the filler plug and then the drain plug. What is the fluid like? How much crap on the drain magnet? How big are the pieces?

Unless you have a lot to share about the above, replace the drain plug, fill it, seal it and drive it...

B

it definately the t-case. i can hear the chain doin it's chain thing. just need to know if its normal to hear. fluids good, runs good, no crap on the plug at all.

yes it clicks, but it's not a CV-type clicking as far as i can tell, and i don't feel it through the wheel. it started a little last winter, but only in reverse only on the outer wheel when turning. now its forward and reverse, outer wheel only when the wheels are past half way to max turn. could that be an Auto-Hub thing?

Sounds like you are ok with the T case chain, just drive it. If you hear the noise change significantly, that may indicate a problem.

Is the clicking once per rev, 2x per rev, etc?? Nothing else should be making that noise.

B

it started a little last winter, but only in reverse only on the outer wheel when turning. now its forward and reverse, outer wheel only when the wheels are past half way to max turn. could that be an Auto-Hub thing?

Yes. Check your "A/B brake" pair height, as described in FSM. Replace if they are worn.

Also, fill transfer case with Dexron-III or any other equivalent ATF, not a gear oil. Dexron has a less cold viscosity than 75W-90 GL-4/5. It's a Nissan recommended thing.

Edited by Terrano1992

thanks for the ATF tip

I can explain more, this is not a misterious thing.

Thick (high viscosity) gear oil causes slow irregular rotation of front propeller shaft when "2H" selected in transfer case (thick liquid acts as a viscous clutch). As a result, you can hear repeated clicks or whirring at front axle, produced by spontaneously engaged (and immediately disengaged, because you have no real torque on driveshaft) automatic hubs, until transfer case oil warms to working temperature.

Dexron-III or higher spec ATF really helps to cure this problem. At least, up to -25..-30 deg.C.

Edited by Terrano1992