Manual Tranny

Crazy Geologist

So I just took my rig in for a Tune-Up and the mechanic told me that one of the (many) noises that my pathy makes is due to the transmission going bad (worn throttle bearing???) Has anyone had this done recently, and how much does it typically cost? The guy gave me a rough quote of $1500 to install a rebuilt one.

How about a "worn throw out bearing". This is the bearing on the end of the fork that pushes the clutch in. The bearing itself is cheap. It has nothing to do with the transmission it self until it becomes so bad that it wears the input shaft. By the time it is wearing the input shaft the noise is so bad you will have parked the pathy.

A reputable shop should be able to replace the throw out bearing alone for well under $200, start to finish. Now depending on teh mialeage I would not just replace the throwout bearing. I would also do a clutch job. WITHOUT pricing the parts, I would guess $500 total.

Now for this mechanic, NEVER, NEVER go back to this place. Either the mechanic is stupid or dishonest. :angry:

I just privced the parts $262. Now there is a posting going on in the garage section about manual tranny and replacing the clutch set. There are alot of bad mechanics out there. People have been getting quotes for $1000 to do the job. I have removed the trans from a pathy this job is not that hard and if the truck is on a lift should be done within 8 hours even by following the book ( removing the torsion bars). I guess it could get to $1000 if someone charges you $75/hr for labor. :(

Hey Crazy Geologist. Unfortunately, the $1500 quote seems to be on par. Figure $300 for parts, $400 for rebuilt tranny, and 8+ hours shop labor (thats what it is rated at) and maybe an alignment due to removing the torsion bars. But, as others have said, you may not need a new tranny. The question is does the clutch bark when you step on it ? This generally indicates the throw out bearing. Does the tranny whine or howl while driving, maybe increasing in pitch with RPM ? That generally indicates unhappy tranny bearings. When was the last time tranny lube was replaced.

Hey lgranch. Yeah, thats my thread in the garage, and I'm planning on replacing the clutch assembly next week. Someone suggested I take pictures and do a write up, but I'll only do this if I come across something the manual doesnt mention/states incorectly. Glad to hear it is not too bad of a job, but I'm not looking forward to removing all that crap... Of course I'm going to rent a tranny jack (that baby looks HEAVY!) I figure I'll save at least $500 by doing it my self, and know that it was done correctly/carefully. There are not many shops I trust...

Bernard

The automatic versionof the tranny and transfer case weigh about 300 lbs. the manual should be only a little less. The part I have not tested yet is removing the transfer case from the tranny then dropping the tranny. IF this can be done the time savings is enormous. On paper it will work, but I know better than to trust paper alone. It will take me a couple of weeks to have time, but I have an auto tranny I am going to try this on.

So let me know what you find.

ALSO If someone has the time the tech school is looking for a manual tranny to rebuild. Labor is free, parts only pricing, guarentee is none. Actually with the profs watching over them it is probable that the job will be done completely and correctly.

I just privced the parts $262. Now there is a posting going on in the garage section about manual tranny and replacing the clutch set. There are alot of bad mechanics out there. People have been getting quotes for $1000 to do the job. I have removed the trans from a pathy this job is not that hard and if the truck is on a lift should be done within 8 hours even by following the book ( removing the torsion bars). I guess it could get to $1000 if someone charges you $75/hr for labor. :(

75$/h is about the going rate. $1500 for everything is actually pretty cheap. The pathy tranny is a pita but totaly doable.. I don't know if you can do this on the pathy since i haven't tried it on one but on other vehicles i have been able to just unbotl a lot of stuff and then move the tranny just enought to be able to access the clutch area; without completely removing the darn thing from under there. if you can do that, it'd save you a lot of time and busted nuckles...

Copy ya mzXtreme... This being my first time doing this on a 4x4 (and owning this Nissan 2 weeks now) I'm doing it by the book, but being a lazy, cocky bastage I'll use any cheats I can figure out :P The other side; being unemployed has its advantages, and I plan on poking around and doing damage control. If it takes a week, well, its in a buddy's garage... sly Probably going to do the CV shafts at the same time (boots are WAY torn) then have it aligned. I expect to make blood (knuckle) sacrifices to the Nissan/tranny god (impact tools and air compressor, save me !) and only pray I dont rupture the same tissue twice; thats when the PAIN begins... I'll post anything I find that seems worthwhile. Wish me luck...

Bernard

Mzextreme brings up an interesting point. He states that $75/hr is the going rate for labor. In the Cleveland area dealers are $65/hr and private garages are $35/hr. My father-in-law is in the NYC area and his rate is close to $80/hr.

Last week my wife's Taurus needs a new whell bearing. because of time I priced the job. The local NAPA garage wanted $100 labor to change it. Well that was enough for me to just do the job on a Friday night after work. About 3 hours and no blood. I did have to buy a wrench to modify so that it would fit one of the bolts.

What is the labor rates around the forum. I think that it is going to depand on teh cost of living in the area. My guess is that Phoenix is high and Texas is low.

Ok people fill in the blank on labor prices and make sure you include the general area of the country. :secret:

In the San Francisco bay area you are looking at $70-95 for Stealerships, and $50-75 for private shops. Yeah, I do most my own work... And the GF's car, and Mom's car, and... The only time I pay someone else is if I dont have the time/equipment/place to work on it....

Bernard

I live in No. VA 25 mi. south of D.C. and the labor rate is usually $55-$75/hr. at most shops. I don't know what the dealerships charge because I don't go to them.

Now, back to C. Geologist's topic:

$1500 seems a bit much to me as well. I would shop around. If it ends up you do need a new one, you might want to try one of those of those Japanese Engine and Transmission places that import used stuff direct from Japan. I bought a manual tranny from one for $500 and had one of their partner shops instal it and the new clutch I bought for another $400. They can't tell you the exact milage, but the parts generally have less than 60,000 miles on 'em.

Good luck, man.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pathfinderdriver

Gee... I should start doing side jobs at those rates. If anybody in the seattle area needs work done let me know! I Just did a clutch on my Pathfinder. The usual exhaust studs and gaskets, rebuilt the rear axle and installed a ARB. torsion bars and suspension. ARB bumper, Power steering hose. Much more I'm probably forgetting.

I wouldn't recomend trying to seperate the tranny from the transfer case while in the vehicle, looks like more of a pain then it would help. Just my 2C

It really helped to have a very long extension to remove the tranny to engine bolts. I used a 3 ft extension and and other smaller ext to get around everything along with a wobbly socket. I would deffinetly recommend having a tranny jack. Getting it out wasn't that hard without one, but getting the new one in was a PINA. I was able to use a couple or floor jacks and a buddy to muscle it in.