Timing Belt Keeps Shifting To The Right

bigsyke

Hey, Im trying to get my new timing belt installed, and everything is lining up perfectly at TDC WHEN I initially install the belt. I set the tension (5:30) and then rotate the belt. It takes about 12 full rotations for the timing marks on the cams and crank to line back up. However The white lines on the belt are shifted about 1 tooth to the right (on all 3 marks). There is 40 teeth between the cams, and 43 between the drivers side cam and crank. Everything lines up, however the belt keeps shifting somehow. Tensions is tight, however ive taken the belt off and started over about 4 times so far, and its the same every time. Is this acceptable? I dont know any other way, unless im really setting the tension wrong.

the marks are just for the inital install as long as you have the correct # of teeth between marks you're fine.

Rememer its a 2:1 roataion ratio so if you turn it 12xT (T=teeth on the cam)the marks will line up again.

Edited by MY1PATH

also make sure you have the belt tight enuff and it's not slipping more than a tooth as you rotate back to TDC

also, the belts usually do slip 1 tooth. anything more than 2 and you need to check your tension.

Edited by Slick

With all the talk about making sure the belt is tight, I wants to mention that you need to make sure that it is not too tight either ;)

Follow the spec for installing it :togo:

There has been some talk about the effects of the belt being to tight. A few of us think that if the belt is too tight it can lead to breaking the RH Camshaft. This happened to me once, it also happened to MaritimeMan and iirc one or two others. In each case the CS failure occurred within 6mo of the T-Belt change.