Lifters

ChrisPerna

Easy enough done, though being a MPFI you will need to remove the intake manifold to get to the left head.

If you don't really know what your in for, buy a manual or find the FSM that is floating around here...Somewhere.

When you get the covers off you'll see this

DSC01678.jpg

Just undo the 6/12mm head bolts (EVENLY) and remove the rockers and shafts, then the lifter housing comes right off.

I'd still bet money on rocker shafts, but hey.

Good luck.

BTW other than basic tools you will need a torque wrench that goes as low as 18-22nm :aok:

get your lifters from abcnissan.com they have the best price. and be sure so soak the lifters in oil and aggitate them while soaking before you install them. this will reduce premature wear and make them stay quiet longer.

12 lifters

2 Gaskets for valve covers

intake manifold gasket

throttle body gasket

oil 5w30

coolant

philips screwdriver

metric socket set

torque wrench

Edited by MY1PATH

and to point you in the right direction...

put your lifters in a bucket with oil, suffle them arround everey step to get the air bubles out so the oil soaks better.

drain about 1 gallon or more from your radiator, this will make things less messy when you take of your manifold.

unbolt thottle body and coolant hoses from manifold let it hang to the side, begin removing manifold

once manifold is off remove valve covers

starting @ each end alternat lostening each bolt on the rocker shaft (1/2 turn only) when you get to the center do a 1/2 turn on the ones you didn't get. repeat the process doing full turns this time. Keep repeating but don't do more than a full turn utill there is no load on the rocker shaft from the valve springs. finish removing rocker shaft.

remove lifter galley and replace lifters(remember you shook'em in the bucket every step). If the flat of any lifter looks exessively or oddly worn by the cam you may want to consider a new cam or haing the old one re-condidtioned.

install lifter galley and rocker shaft slowly following the same sequence as above. (don't forget to use torqe wrench to spec)

replace valve cover gasket if neede and then valve cover.

replace everyting else and top off your coolant.

that may not be everyting but it will get you in the right direction.

Easy enough done, though being a MPFI you will need to remove the intake manifold to get to the left head.

If you don't really know what your in for, buy a manual or find the FSM that is floating around here...Somewhere.

When you get the covers off you'll see this

DSC01678.jpg

Just undo the 6/12mm head bolts (EVENLY) and remove the rockers and shafts, then the lifter housing comes right off.

I'd still bet money on rocker shafts, but hey.

Good luck.

BTW other than basic tools you will need a torque wrench that goes as low as 18-22nm :aok:

thats some nasty sludge, time for sea foam? or a different oil

what about the rockers and shafts how do i do them? i dont want any more ticking so i wanna do everything i need to do lol

if you wanna change the rockers and safts buy some new ones(if you can) and they are pretty self explanitory.

I think its just the lifters that tick, when they wear out they don't hold on to oil as well so after the vehicle has been sitting they drain out and tick is the sound of a hydraulic lifter collapsing becasues its empty.

That was nothing :lol: Have a look at the head on my 93's old engine :D

Sludge.jpg

That is a really nasty picture, Tex. I wish you wouldn't be so eager to flash it all the time...

so i really wanna get this done but im a little worried about it, like how tough is it gettin the lifters out and what can i fskc up doing it?

Did you read the link that was provided for you?? :scratchhead:

B

That is a really nasty picture, Tex. I wish you wouldn't be so eager to flash it all the time...

Thats craziness in that picture...a good example of: never changing the oil, using WAL MART brand oil LOL, or using every chemical gimmick (snake oil)

product one can find on any store shelf. (or the oil paths were so blocked that oil could never

circulate properly.)

Any engine with tons of miles on it will have SOME build up in it, and just because there is a little on the rockers or thereabouts is not a red flag

to immdeiately do an engine flush. You can't keep a well used engine as clean as when it was new....unless you want to spend big bucks by having it done professionally and using full synthetic oil.

Using chemicals to flush and clean excessively can actually cause damage by eating away the seals.

• 1 month later...

You sure it's lifters and not the exhaust manifold? :cheetos:

I have to second this question. The tick caused by broken exhaust manifold studs can sound similar to a bad lifter tick. Hate to see you tear into the lifters and not solve your problem. BTW, in case you haven't read it yet. The broken exhaust manifold stud issue is common issue to the vehicles thru 95.

How long does the ticking sound last? If you turn it off and immediately restart does it quit? (I have a lifter tick at start up but usually goes away quickly. Sometimes it will hang in there for a little longer, so I'll shut down and then restart which has so far always stopped the tick)

so i ordered 12 lifters and 6 rocker arms. what else should i get?

Umm...to ask the obvious....did you get the gaskets too? Also, have magnetic pickup wand handy. I dropped a lifter down in the head when I did a car I had. Thankfully, I was able to recover it with a magnetic tipped wand. Hope it doesn't happen to you.

Edited by andreus009

I have to second this question. The tick caused by broken exhaust manifold studs can sound similar to a bad lifter tick. Hate to see you tear into the lifters and not solve your problem. BTW, in case you haven't read it yet. The broken exhaust manifold stud issue is common issue to the vehicles thru 95.

How long does the ticking sound last? If you turn it off and immediately restart does it quit? (I have a lifter tick at start up but usually goes away quickly. Sometimes it will hang in there for a little longer, so I'll shut down and then restart which has so far always stopped the tick)

Umm...to ask the obvious....did you get the gaskets too? Also, have magnetic pickup wand handy. I dropped a lifter down in the head when I did a car I had. Thankfully, I was able to recover it with a magnetic tipped wand. Hope it doesn't happen to you.

alright my problem is that when i start the truck theres no tick then once it warms up it will start ticking. any ideas?

alright my problem is that when i start the truck theres no tick then once it warms up it will start ticking. any ideas?

Well, haven't heard of one behaving that way specifically. However, on top of the exhaust manifold stud issue I have read of some people having found the exhaust manifold itself cracked. I could imagine that with a cracked manifold it might be quieter at the start and get more loud as it got warm (i.e. crack opens with temperature)

Personally, I'd probe around the exhaust manifolds first to see if a) there were broken studs and/or B) if there were any cracks in the manifolds. When checking the studs try grabbing the ends with some pliers and pull a little bit. Sometimes the studs will crack, but stay in place so you won't know if they are broken unless you pull on them.

Sorry, I do not specifically know if lifters can start out quiet but then start ticking after the engine warms up. Anyone?