Now What

89pathy3L

I have a 1988 XE-V6 5-speed

I am a weekend Warrior who makes my own trails then running them and occasionally tackling ditches and rocks that shove the tires pretty far up into the wells.

Here is my question: The truck has 190005 miles on it and still runs fine but was not treated extremely well before I bought it a year ago and while I don't abuse it, i definitely use it for fun and regular transportation. I've changes spark plus and wires but that's really it. I know there is more to change but I guess I don't know where to start on a small to medium budget. Long-term wishes like lifting and bigger rolling stock are just that... long-term. Right now, I guess i'm looking for just the next step as far as keeping it running well and correctly. THat's all I'll say for now. hope to hear from you soon. i'll try to add a pic soon

Thanks for your comments

cap & rotor

o2 sensor

diff & tranny fluids if they need it.

check all your steering components...

I think everything else should make itself known when it needs changed.... that is if you pay attention to things like big changes in mpg, oil leaks & listen to it every day b4 you crank the stereo and drive away.

It does have an oil leak that is consistent but not significant in amount. It always drips but never looses more than a couple drips while sitting. From what I can tell it doesn't leak when it's running. I will def check cap and rotor and I was considering checking the trans fluid level but I have not been able to find any GL4 but I am OK buying it online and having it shipped. Is there a specific brand that would be best for a budget minded fellow?

Thanks!

Cap and rotor/timing

Air & fuel filter

Check vacuum lines for cracks/leaks and replace where appropriate.

Clean MAF

Change all fluids if they haven't been changed as per service intervals

Snug valve covers and oil pans

The most important one, timing belt. When was it last changed? With your truck, the interval is every 60,000 miles so it should be about time to do the 3rd belt change. It is a bit of work and you can just change the belt ($40) but don't let it go, it is one thing that can destroy the motor.

That should keep you busy for a bit... :D

B

The basics and all improtant timing belt have already been mensioned. When checking fluids though, do more than under the hood, make sure your front and rear differentials are full. Take a peak underneath to make sure your brake and fuel lines are all decent looking( while there check your frame to make sure your solid). Give your brakes a nice once over, ck u-joints, cv shafts&boots(front axles) and give everythign with a greese fitting a shot with the old greese gun. Check the front end for excessive play in wheel bearings,ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. All things that can basicly be checked by yourself that will only really cost you some time. Always nice to know things that are supposed to be snug aint fallign off and moving parts do so nicely...

It does have an oil leak that is consistent but not significant in amount. It always drips but never looses more than a couple drips while sitting. From what I can tell it doesn't leak when it's running. I will def check cap and rotor and I was considering checking the trans fluid level but I have not been able to find any GL4 but I am OK buying it online and having it shipped. Is there a specific brand that would be best for a budget minded fellow?

Thanks!

If your talking about GL4 for your diffs then the 85-90-115 napa brand stuff is the same,the 115 is a lsd aditive.Just look at the bottles and if they say for use in LSD diffs then your fine...But make sure the rear diff cse is not leaking.Mine wasnt leaking at the time I got it but it has clear signs that it did,I didnt check the level until may and there wasnt any in it that I could find.It took 2 quirts and just barly touched my fingure,then when I changed it,I scrapped around the hole and I came out with about two good pinchs of metal...

Edited by nismothunder

Cap and rotor/timing

Air & fuel filter

Check vacuum lines for cracks/leaks and replace where appropriate.

Clean MAF

Change all fluids if they haven't been changed as per service intervals

Snug valve covers and oil pans

The most important one, timing belt. When was it last changed? With your truck, the interval is every 60,000 miles so it should be about time to do the 3rd belt change. It is a bit of work and you can just change the belt ($40) but don't let it go, it is one thing that can destroy the motor.

That should keep you busy for a bit... :D

B

Should be one the 3rd already...for about 10005 miles or so...