Newbie Here

RC914

Hello Everyone!

New here on this forum. I had picked up a 2004 SE 4WD yesterday w/ 94k miles. So far its been great. My wife, kids, and I enjoys the ride. Runs really smooth! Only thing... on a cold start, there this loud screeching sound coming from the motor... I'm thinking it could be one of the belts. Is there any way I can find out what it could be? Any help is very much appreciated!! :)

Thank you,

Randy

I get a slight squawk if I push the motor while its cold, or have alot of accessories on when I start it up (mine is a 91 though)....

I'd bet money that its your alternator/accessory belt, AFAIK its nothing to worry about, as the belt just gets a little snug when its cold, but someone else may chime in saying your belt is too tight or loose..

WELCOME!

Edited by OldSlowReliable

Welcome to NPORA, Randy!!

I think one of the belts is worn/loose, and I'll guess it is the PS belt. Get a can of belt dressing from an auto store and try one belt at a time with cold starts to identify which one is the one slipping. Check for wear, cracks, and other signs of deterioration. If yes, just change the belt and any of the others that look worn also. ;)

B

A bar of soap can do the same as belt dressing in a pinch...