Transmision Flush /and Tire Question

olddirtyrake

I also am experiencing that problem where it intermittently will not shift into reverse. I read a couple posts on that. Im going to flush trany and check shifter position, and install aftermarket AT cooler.(bigger the better or what?)maybe 2 coolers? well anyone with the time to answer a question or two in this post would be greatly appreciated, THANKS.

Edited by olddirtyrake

I also am experiencing that problem where it intermittently will not shift into reverse.

Ok, I'm going to focus on this as it is the most important right now, the steering doesn't matter if the tranny is blown.

First, what condition and level is the fluid? It should be nice and pink/clear.

Yes, you should install a tranny cooler ASAP. Let me find some of the links for you...

B

Flush it and change the filter,add a cooler and it should be fixed.If your not getting noise and if you shake the tire(off the ground) and it doesnt move then its probly not a ball-joint(bearing also) its probly the tie rods,just make sure there not loose and the bolts still have the cotter pins in them and you should be good.But yeah,really get on top of the tranny problem...

Edited by nismothunder

First, what condition and level is the fluid? It should be nice and pink/clear.

B

Well the level is fine but its really dark barely can tell that it was red. I know that's bad, but I'm hoping that it didn't do any permanent damage. I have had it parked ever since I bought it. Hopefully flushing, and adding an at cooler will remedy the intermittent reverse issue. Though it seems to shift through all of the gears fine when I have taken it out to check If I did the headers correctly.

I was also wondering what type of tranny fluid fills in this thing. The parts store called the dealership and they said the universal (red) transmission fluid is used. would feel better to get a verification on that before I put it in since I trust this site more than anything really.

-I was wondering if a at cooler with specs 3/4" x 5" x 9-3/4" would be big enough or should I get another on top of that one?(is a complete kit from nappa I snagged for $5 off ebay)

Edited by olddirtyrake

If your not getting noise and if you shake the tire(off the ground) and it doesnt move then its probly not a ball-joint(bearing also)

Funny thing every time I fix something on this vehicle I find something else that was neglected. Ball joints are toast, found that out when I was getting ready to bring boots in to get fixed.

Funny thing every time I fix something on this vehicle I find something else that was neglected. Ball joints are toast, found that out when I was getting ready to bring boots in to get fixed.

I get that sometimes too, but those fits are very far apart, once you get done with a wave of crap, its likely a few years before you gotta do anything again....

In the years I've had mine, I've only had to do 2 repairs, UCA and exhaust (rusted out) and just recently have all the tie rods replaced......although your mileage may vary, my PO's took very good care of mine, but yours maybe not so much..

Well the level is fine but its really dark barely can tell that it was red. I know that's bad, but I'm hoping that it didn't do any permanent damage. I have had it parked ever since I bought it. Hopefully flushing, and adding an at cooler will remedy the intermittent reverse issue. Though it seems to shift through all of the gears fine when I have taken it out to check If I did the headers correctly.

I was also wondering what type of tranny fluid fills in this thing. The parts store called the dealership and they said the universal (red) transmission fluid is used. would feel better to get a verification on that before I put it in since I trust this site more than anything really.

-I was wondering if a at cooler with specs 3/4" x 5" x 9-3/4" would be big enough or should I get another on top of that one?(is a complete kit from nappa I snagged for $5 off ebay)

The tranny fluid is Dex 3, but you can use dex 5 since its easyer to find some times.

The only way to tell if the cooler is big anuff is by the GVWR,18000 pound is ideal.

In the years I've had mine, I've only had to do 2 repairs, UCA and exhaust (rusted out) and just recently have all the tie rods replaced......although your mileage may vary, my PO's took very good care of mine, but yours maybe not so much..

Ya I guess they didn't take that good of care of it for only having 95,000 on it. Was taking off the cv and noticed that the shock mount on the bottom is busted off. Now I'm going to have to put a good weld on that too. man that whole side is messed up. The cv boots torn,shock mount busted,tie rod end needs to be replaced, tension bar was busted,list goes on and on. Good thing its all fun right?