1994 Nissan Pathfinder High Idle

4wheeldrivefun

I have a 1994 nissan pathfinder, I just finished installing a new engine. After 1st startup and worm-up it run it idle's at 1200rpm. After Checking the factory service manual it sais dissconnet a wiring harness and adjust idel speed with a screw near the filrewal. Its on page 26 of 292. Once i reconnect the wiring harness the idle goes back up. Has anyone had this happen or have any idea's. :scratchhead:

Try turning on the heater fan or the rear defrost. It should idle up about 200 RPMs when you switch either of those on. If it doesn't, then you may have a problem with your TPS sensor. Where it's idling at sounds like it should with those accessories on, but the sensor may not be lowering the idle properly when they're switched off.

I just went out and switched on the heater headlights and etc. It dosnt make the idle go down at all. However when i put it into drive it idles about 900 rpm's. I have also tryed adjusting the tps sensor. The tps sensor dosnt seem to make any differance in idle. Is there a process for checking the tps?

A properly working TPS sensor will make the engine idle UP with those switched on. Like I said, if the engine doesn't idle up when those are on, it sounds like your sensor is malfunctioning and holding the idle higher no matter what. I have no idea how to test the TPS sensor, never had to do it myself so I haven't paid much attention to the procedure. :shrug:

don't mess with the TPS, its another valve that affects the idle speed in regards to the A/C and power steering on the VG30E. Its the IACV switch or some such valve at the rear of the intake manifold (when I get home I'll post the correct name).

Mine isnt working either.

However, you should still be able to adjust the idle by turning the screw thing on it. You want to be around 800rpm when warmed up.

Whoops, don't go off what I said about the TPS sensor, I meant the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve).

Edit: Beastpath already got to it. ;)

Edited by Kingman

Mine idles at 1700 (too lazy to adjust that) completely cold, and 750 warm with no accessories on and 900-1000 with the heater or rear defroster on.

Also 4wheeldrivefun, clean your MAF sensor. It may not be contributing to the problem, but it's good to get it done and it may or may not boost your fuel mileage and run ability.

Edited by Kingman

all that being said, mine will idle at like 1200 when its cold, but when its in drive it will fall to like 600, and will stay there after it gets warmed up

X2

The proper idle speed is around 750 I believe, in park or neutral.