Thunk when disengaging the clutch

Kingman

The past week or so I've been noticing something that's really concerning me on my '88 SE, MT. The first drive of the day I notice that when I disengage the clutch out of first gear (say to shift in to second gear) there's a loud thunk/boom/clang (all in one noise, hard to explain lol). You can feel it in the seats, but I can't feel it in the clutch pedal and it feels like normal while this is going on. Disengaging the clutch the shift in to third gear gives the same noise, sometimes, but no where near as intense as shifting out of first.

It sounds like the noise is everywhere underneath. I know that doesn't help but I havent been able to pinpoint where the hell it's coming from, which is why I'm posting this, hoping someone has had this problem or has an idea of what it might be. After a few minutes of driving, the noise is completely gone but I can still feel some "shifting" going on when the clutch is disengaged and then shortly after everything is back to normal. It just seems like the very first shift and the few shifts after that are the main concern.

There is no whining in the transmission, either. Just the normal RPM drop in neutral when it's cold.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance... :beer:

I have the same problem with mine, spoke to a few mechanics at work, they all ay the same thing:

clutches in the lsd - replace fluid, if there not too worn, they will come good.

backlash in the diff- take it to a diff place to get the backlash adjusted

uni joints - sometime u can feel some play in the tailshaft, but not always. when in doubt, take them out and replace them.

i changed my diff oil, no change, so the next thing is to replace the uni's. its the cheaper option, and id rather spend $50 bucks to get new uni's, than take it in to a diff place, which would cost a heap more.

will post her when i have done it, and let u know if it fixed the problem.

Along with the mentioned above issues, check the transmission mount as well for wear or breakage.

If everything checks out ok, including all ovbvious driveline bushines, including balljoints, etc... then you might have and issue inside the transmission, or possibly with the clutch release bearing.

Thanks for the tips guys. After reading about the rear end issue, I did kind of notice that it seemed to be coming from back there the most. Took a lot of hard listening, but I think that's where it is. Although it may be likely I'm imagining things. :shrug:

I have today off so I'll check around and see what I can find.