Transfer case fluid

Toby

there is a drain hole just near the front drive-shaft, and a fill hole at the back somewhere. make sure you can get the fill hole stopper out before you drain the fluid.

I'm replacing my vehicle speed sensor. So i'll probably end up losing all my fluid. I'll look for it when i get a day off I suppose.

What fluid do I use? I've been through this before I believe.

Power steering fluid is what the manual says about. Dexron II. Would Dexron III be fine? (I'd assume so but i'd rather ask and be safe).

What fluid do I use? I've been through this before I believe.

Power steering fluid is what the manual says about. Dexron II. Would Dexron III be fine? (I'd assume so but i'd rather ask and be safe).

Power steering fluid? I thought it said ATF...shows what I know. lol

Lots of people run redline MT-90 (especially if they have a MT: in case of a seal failure it wont do anything to your tranny). Its what I'm switching to.

I had the ATF in there formerly.

Power steering fluid? I thought it said ATF...shows what I know. lol

Lots of people run redline MT-90 (especially if they have a MT: in case of a seal failure it wont do anything to your tranny). Its what I'm switching to.

I had the ATF in there formerly.

That's what I meant. The power steering pump uses ATF as well according to the manual. That's why I said that lol. sorry about that.

I've never heard of MT-90. and I have a manual trans

MT-90 is MT GL4 fluid that is made by the company Redline.

It is supposed to be the "dogs bollocks" and most people on here will recommend it for your MT. Its a bit hard to find though, you can order it at summit and JEGS, and some 4x4shops have it in stock.

MT-90 is MT GL4 fluid that is made by the company Redline.

It is supposed to be the "dogs bollocks" and most people on here will recommend it for your MT. Its a bit hard to find though, you can order it at summit and JEGS, and some 4x4shops have it in stock.

I guess I may have to go on a limb to see if a local performance shop has it. I need my Nissan on the road by the end of this month lol. Don't have time to wait for ordered parts.

Any other suggestions in case I can't find that?

I'm almost there. All I got left of real work is this damn sensor. The A/C belt but I can live without A/C for now. Gotta bleed my brakes but that doesn't take long at all.

I guess I may have to go on a limb to see if a local performance shop has it. I need my Nissan on the road by the end of this month lol. Don't have time to wait for ordered parts.

Any other suggestions in case I can't find that?

I'm almost there. All I got left of real work is this damn sensor. The A/C belt but I can live without A/C for now. Gotta bleed my brakes but that doesn't take long at all.

I guess I shouldnt have said the Redline is "hard to find" but rather that your general auto shops don't have it.

JEGS got my order to me in 4 days.

Any GL4 would work the same, or you could use ATF, order the Redline and re-drain/fill again later.

I guess I shouldnt have said the Redline is "hard to find" but rather that your general auto shops don't have it.

JEGS got my order to me in 4 days.

Any GL4 would work the same, or you could use ATF, order the Redline and re-drain/fill again later.

I don't have that kind of time really. I gotta get the truck inspected and all still. And my usual place is busy. That and if anything else is wrong with it I'd like some time to fix it. I'm just pressed for time. I suppose if I can't find the GL-4 I could use ATF for now.

I also gotta get my exhaust welded. I got a crack right before it goes into the collector

I don't have that kind of time really. I gotta get the truck inspected and all still. And my usual place is busy. That and if anything else is wrong with it I'd like some time to fix it. I'm just pressed for time. I suppose if I can't find the GL-4 I could use ATF for now.

I also gotta get my exhaust welded. I got a crack right before it goes into the collector

Did you purchase your speed sensor yet? I have an OEM for a '95 LE in the original nissan box. 100.00 includes shipping lower 48

Dextron II is the proper fluid but that was outdated and replaced with dextron III and is fine to put in there. there are a few different transfer cases that nissan produced throughout the wd21's life that all have different drain/fill plug locations. if you have a haynes manual, it shows all of them in there. Since you have a 1994, most likely you fill plug is rear facing on the transfer case right in front of the rear most cross member.

Time is my biggest problem. I'm just taking it to the Nissan dealer. $70 in labor. Already got the sensor so all I'd need to buy is the fluid. Get an oil change while I'm at it. And that should be all of it

• 4 weeks later...

I used DexIII, bought one of the $5 hand pumps from Autozone that fits the gallon jugs and made it a piece of cake to fill all the transfer case, tranny, and diffs (Just to specify, I didn't use the DexIII in all of them :P )

Edited by NavyP503

Truck is at my step brother's shop now. The gear on the speed sensor was stripped. Meaning the drive gear is probably chipped. So to save myself a headache and having to rip apart the T-Case I'm replacing it with a used one out of a 94 HB with 120k from the C4C program.

Hopefully they get the T-Case pulled soon so i can have my pathfinder back. you never realize how uncomfortable pathfinders are until you're back in a standard cab shortbed.