Do I have a Problem with my syncros?

Graydon94

Hi everyone,

I Just bought a 1994 pathfinder for off-roading and driving to mountians (Colorado) and I have been able to fix pretty much everything although I have had issues with shifting. When I shift into 2nd or 4th the gears grind if the rpms are above 3000. If I shift really slow this dosen't happen. I was wondering if It was a problem with the syncros or if I am just shifting too fast for it. I used to have an 88 pathfinder and don't remember this happening but I have had a WRX for the past year and maybe I was spoiled and forgot how to shift with an older car. I have also noticed reading through the forum that redline gl-4 does well with this type of transmission, do you think if I put that in there it might make the shifting smoother at highier RPMs? This wouldn't be a big deal but I have to shift fast to make it up in the mountains sometimes so it would be nice if I could shift faster at highier rpms to not lose speed. Do you think the redline gl-4 would help, should I look into a new/used/rebuilt transmission, or should I just shift slower?

Thanks in advance!

I've been having similar problem but just shifting into 3rd. I've been driving this pathy for a few years and am not doing anything different. I thought I wasn't pressing the clutch in far enough for a while, but it's no different from the other gears. I would be interested to learn a good solution too... I have a rebuilt transmission too.

First try bleeding the clutch in both places (one on the firewall). It may make some difference.

Then make sure you are running GL-4, when was the last time it was changed??

There is a TSB about overfilling the tranny to 5.1 liters, is this how much is in the tranny?

Redline works well in the trannys. If you run that to the 'overfill' amount and still have trouble, I'd say it is physical wear or damage, probably to the syncros...

B

If I shift really slow this dosen't happen. I was wondering if It was a problem with the syncros or if I am just shifting too fast for it.

my 87 and 95 MTs are like that...try to have the clutch in before pulling out of the gear and going into the next...I found that going towards 4th and then into 2nd keeps 2nd from grinding...if I quick shift i grind if I shift like I should its fine...just try different shifting styles until you find one that you and the truck like but it sounds like syncro's and my 87 did it for 9 years (still does but that tranny is in the garage now) and I never did a rebuild

Thanks all is really good info I think the best course of action when this is happening is as follows:

1. Check the clutch make sure the fluid is at a good level and its doing its job.

2. Try changing the tranny fluid with a brand like redline gl-4 and overfill it a bit (I'll have to look for the other post for the specifics on that)

3. If it still grinds try changing your shifting style and see if you can live with it

4. Last resort is rebuild the transmission.

Let me know if there is anything else I could try but it seems this is the process I should follow.

Thanks!

So a brief update I have the opportunity to buy a 1993 manual transmisson for $200 with 115,000 miles (I have a 1994). Is this a good deal? I assume they are the same transmissions from 1993-1994.

Thanks.

Yes, that is the correct order to do thigs except that #1 should read 'bleed the brakes'.

With those miles, the tranny should be good, but don't but it unless you know/trust the PO and/or have a warranty. Yes, $200 is a fairly good deal if there are no issues.

Yes, 94-95 have electronic speedos, not cable driven so the unit in the tranny must be different. I have no idea if it is better to swap the speedo (cable is more reliable, I believe) or the sender/wire/cable... :shrug:

B

the ECU needs the electric speedo to work right...I found that out in my swap...and theres not a good way to swap over the cable driven speedo to the newer dash...i tried that too and then found out my truck would throw a CEL light for not having the speedo input...

Well I think I am just going to flush the tranny and see what happens and then approach my mountain driving issues a different way...add more HP so i don't have to shift quick. Might be fun to start a thread on the best / low cost ways to add more HP. May do that after my tranny flush. Thanks all!

Thanks for the info sorry I am new at all this why would bleeding the brakes help?

No, sorry, my bad. Bleed brakes is 95% of 'bleed' phrases, my fingers did the walking... I meant bleed clutch hydraulics like I did in my first post. If you have any air/water in it, you may not be completely seperating the pressure plate. It is a good first try, and odds are that the fluid is so old it needs changing anyway. Save the seals, eh... ;)

the ECU needs the electric speedo to work right...I found that out in my swap...and theres not a good way to swap over the cable driven speedo to the newer dash...i tried that too and then found out my truck would throw a CEL light for not having the speedo input...

Ok, thanks for the clarification, you have obviously been there... ;)

B

Putting Redline in my transmission did not help my problem... My syncros are out too! I got a really good deal on my truck because of them being out. :)

In other words - I bought it that way knowing that when I get tired of messing with double shifting that it I can just throw in a salvage yard trans for around 200-400 bones.

Do a search on the forum for Redline and you will eventually find where a guy who works with gears for a living put some HEAVY THINK sheit in his and it fixed his problem.

I didn't try it myself as I am hoping my transmission will eventually blow up so I can justify spending the money to put in a used one. That was a year ago...

It just keeps grinding, grinding, and grinding.. Damn thing won't blow up!!!

Putting Redline in my transmission did not help my problem... My syncros are out too! I got a really good deal on my truck because of them being out. :)

In other words - I bought it that way knowing that when I get tired of messing with double shifting that it I can just throw in a salvage yard trans for around 200-400 bones.

Do a search on the forum for Redline and you will eventually find where a guy who works with gears for a living put some HEAVY THINK sheit in his and it fixed his problem.

I didn't try it myself as I am hoping my transmission will eventually blow up so I can justify spending the money to put in a used one. That was a year ago...

It just keeps grinding, grinding, and grinding.. Damn thing won't blow up!!!

Oh wait - I found the thread... It was 87Pathy: http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...;hl=castrol+400

FWIW, on our '93 MT pathie, we

=> slowly shift at low revs from 3rd into 4th. Allowing the revs to drop seems to eliminate any grindings.

=> double clutch from 5th into 4th. Didn't spend much time driving hay trucks that required double-clutching. Works.

I guess that would be the synchros?

We removed, flushed and replaced the tranny fluid last summer. Overfilled it. May have helped but not by much.

We had planned on driving it as is until shifting became dysfunctional, and then fix/refurbish the clutch and transmission.

my pathfinder has gm syconromesh in it and it works great now no grinds(used to all the time) and easy as butter to shift in the winter can get cold here in mn. So try that if u want idk i havent has anyproblems and its been 2 years and it works just as good as it did the day i switched to it

I haven't flushed the system yet but thanks for the links to the threads I will look through them. I too got a good deal because the shifting wasen't right. I decided the promblem really isn't that bad and I should just drive it till it blows up. I noticed if when I shift if I pull the shifter a little to the right it does not grind at high rpms, so I have been doing that. I guess thats the thing about older cars sometimes it takes some time to learn their nuances. I just need it to make it to Moab this weekend :).