Won't start...HELP!

dkim568

Ok I have a 93 SE and I just finished the relay fix hoping that would solve all my problems...still won't start. :scratchhead: Im getting a loud click followed by a few quieter clicks that are barely audible...I just put a new starter in two days ago and it started up just fine until last night. Still having the same problems...what can this be?? I even tried checking the voltages at the starter and the battery and from the positive end of the battery to the ground at the starter: all 12 volts. I have two 10" subwoofers in the back and i tried turning on my headlights, speakers, windshield wipers, and even the dash lights don't go weak at all. ??? I need help.

I changed the oil and filter when I replaced the starter, another thing I should add, but im not sure if it can be related is...I did a tune up about a week ago - replaced spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. After that ran beautifully, except that my stock alarm system hasn't worked since then...I disconnected the battery to do the tune-up and when I connected it back up when I was done, my stock alarm light started flashing and has never stopped...and now the alarm system doesnt work and the pathy won't start

I had the same problem last year and replaced the starter and it seemed to fix it...but it started acting up again a week ago and now I know it can't be that since I just replaced it AGAIN and have messed with the electrical and it still wont start...

Any ideas?

Smack it with a hammer. (not kidding). If it starts, then the brushes in the starter are worn out. If they wore out so fast, it is probably due to a rough commutator, which can be common in rebuilt starters.

Already tried that...I figured it probably couldn't be that since I had replaced the starter a couple days ago, but I gave it a shot anyways and it still didn't help... :headwall:

And I just got back from radioshack with a new relay thinking I might've gotten a bad one. Still not it!

Do this carefully, especially if you habe a manual tranny, but try 'hotwiring' the starter with jumper cables. It will tell you if it is the starter or something inbetween.

Also, have you checked your ground cable/connections?

B

Do this carefully, especially if you habe a manual tranny, but try 'hotwiring' the starter with jumper cables. It will tell you if it is the starter or something inbetween.

Also, have you checked your ground cable/connections?

B

It's an automatic, but how do you hotwire the starter with jumper cables? I've heard you can do this, and I have an idea how to, but I've never tried it before. Do you have to turn the key in the ignition? or does it have to be in the "on" position when you "jump" start it?

I'm starting to think it might be the starter wire, maybe corroded or something...

jump testing the starter is pretty easy.

If you have the starter installed:

DISCONNECT YOUR COIL WIRE (you do NOT want it to start unexpectedly)

Hook a jumper cable to your + terminal and drag the other end under the truck (don't let it ground).

Reach up and pull the trigger/ignition wire off the starter solenoid

Put a clip lead on the terminal post on the starter solenoid (make sure it is isolated from ground)

Test by touching the clip lead to the jumper cable. This will bypass the entire ignition system.

If this tests ok, remove the clip lead and plug the connector back into the starter solenoid and try using the ignition key. If this works, you know nothing. If it doesn't, the problem is in the ignition circuit and could be a relay, inhibitor, connection, etc.

Ok I have a 93 SE and I just finished the relay fix hoping that would solve all my problems...still won't start. :scratchhead: Im getting a loud click followed by a few quieter clicks that are barely audible...I just put a new starter in two days ago and it started up just fine until last night. Still having the same problems...what can this be?? I even tried checking the voltages at the starter and the battery and from the positive end of the battery to the ground at the starter: all 12 volts. I have two 10" subwoofers in the back and i tried turning on my headlights, speakers, windshield wipers, and even the dash lights don't go weak at all. ??? I need help.

I changed the oil and filter when I replaced the starter, another thing I should add, but im not sure if it can be related is...I did a tune up about a week ago - replaced spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. After that ran beautifully, except that my stock alarm system hasn't worked since then...I disconnected the battery to do the tune-up and when I connected it back up when I was done, my stock alarm light started flashing and has never stopped...and now the alarm system doesnt work and the pathy won't start

I had the same problem last year and replaced the starter and it seemed to fix it...but it started acting up again a week ago and now I know it can't be that since I just replaced it AGAIN and have messed with the electrical and it still wont start...

Any ideas?

The loud click followed by the softer click sounds like the starter solenoid isn't getting enough power or it is defective. Did you try to find our if the sound was from the solenoid or some other relay? My first step would be to check/recheck all the heavy gauge cables and the connections to the battery posts. You can run your lights, stereo, windshield wipers and etcetera all day long with a bad connection, but once you ask it to deliver a few hundred amps for the starter it doesn't do so well. Also, a bad cell in the battery could mess up your power, but still read the right voltage when not under heavy load. How old is the battery? An easy check of the battery is ('a') use it to start another car, or ('b') have it bench tested at the local auto parts store. Batteries do sometimes go bad without much warning. Another battery check that is even easier than the first two. Put a volt meter on the + and - of the battery, while watching the voltmeter have someone try to start the truck. If the voltage drops significantly ( I want to say below 10V) then it is good chance your battery is toast. BTW, typically an unloaded charged battery will read around 12.5V-13V.

Good luck. Chasing electrical problems can be a real PIA! :headwall:

Edited by andreus009

bypassing? From where to where?

I tried bypassing the trigger/starter wire that clips into the solenoid because the plastic protecting piece on the outside looked cracked, and using a 10gauge wire from that starter wire to the relay. The relay clicks when I turn the key in the ignition...

jump testing the starter is pretty easy.

If you have the starter installed:

DISCONNECT YOUR COIL WIRE (you do NOT want it to start unexpectedly)

Hook a jumper cable to your + terminal and drag the other end under the truck (don't let it ground).

Reach up and pull the trigger/ignition wire off the starter solenoid

Put a clip lead on the terminal post on the starter solenoid (make sure it is isolated from ground)

Test by touching the clip lead to the jumper cable. This will bypass the entire ignition system.

If this tests ok, remove the clip lead and plug the connector back into the starter solenoid and try using the ignition key. If this works, you know nothing. If it doesn't, the problem is in the ignition circuit and could be a relay, inhibitor, connection, etc.

Ok I tried this. Basically, this was the same thing I did, but completely bypassed even the relay if I understood correctly. Again, I still only get one loud click coming from the starter. I think I might've just gotten a bad rebuild with a faulty solenoid...time to go back to pick up my 3rd rebuilt starter! :headwall:

Edited by dkim568

Unless the battery is almost brand new, personally I would pull it first and have it load tested at the auto parts store. It may be a waste of time, but it is a short waste of time compared to pulling out the starter.

My :02:

Edited by andreus009

Unless the battery is almost brand new, personally I would pull it first and have it load tested at the auto parts store. It may be a waste of time, but it is a short waste of time compared to pulling out the starter.

My :02:

What I did to make sure was have a AAA truck come and check it out. Of course, he assumed I had a dead battery and immediately began taking out the jumper cables and voltmeter...He checked the battery and said it was only slightly low probably from trying to start it so many times and messing with my accessories but it was more than enough juice to start.

I would've taken the battery to get it tested, but I had no mode of transportation since my gf doesn't have a car and her bro is always out and about.

I just took out the starter right now and tested it myself with some jumper cables and still it makes a click, but nothing else happens, so I'm borrowing my gf's brother's car and taking it in tomrrow morning before he leaves. I'm pretty sure its a bad solenoid....at this point I only HOPE its a bad solenoid...haha

yea, when the starter is out, it's simple to test. Ground the case, jumper to the bug lug and clip-lead to the solenoid. It should jump to life shohold it down with your foot or something. Check the replacement before installing it or have the parts place show you that it works.

Edited by k9sar

Sounds like you are on the right track.

Check the replacement before installing it.

THIS!!! Unfortunately, not all remanufactured starters are good. Sometimes it is better to buy new... :shrug:

I'll have to post the name of the new aftermarket starter I have (after I look it up).

B

Sounds like you are on the right track.

THIS!!! Unfortunately, not all remanufactured starters are good. Sometimes it is better to buy new... :shrug:

I'll have to post the name of the new aftermarket starter I have (after I look it up).

B

Yep, it ended up being a bad rebuild. I guess the solenoid was bad...now she fires up beautifully! :ar15:

The name of the new aftermarket starter would definitely be helpful for others, I only tried kragens and autozone and the dealership for prices a little over a year ago when I first started having problems and all of them only had remanufactured starters available...

And so far, I'm on my 3rd remanufactured starter...good thing they have a lifetime warranty...Im gonna need it! haha

• 3 weeks later...
And so far, I'm on my 3rd remanufactured starter...good thing they have a lifetime warranty...Im gonna need it! haha

I am having the same problem... Do you think they will honor that warranty if the starter has MUD injected into it?

I am having the same problem... Do you think they will honor that warranty if the starter has MUD injected into it?

Depending on where you got the starter, they're pretty good about it as long as they test it and it doesnt work. They don't seem to inspect it too much to see whats wrong with it...