DIY - Custom front skid plate

vanuatoo

My pathfinder came without it so I paid about 60$ to some guy who did all the measurement and skid plate.

Here is the result. Now I feel more safe on the road and will be safe in winter in the snow.

I was scared when I saw that radiator hoses and even oil filter is "visible" without skid plate.

I don't want to imagine a case when some stone will hit oil filter when I'm doing 80mph and the car will bleed oil and my engine will be goner.

The tricky part was to make exact cutouts for radiator support rubbers. The guy did not do it correctly so my dad had to widen them so skid plate does not touch any rubber.

Here are the pictures.

3910873946_249a5644c4_b.jpg

3910873942_d3a3347eec_b.jpg

3910873954_3ab9e9ea91_b.jpg

3910873956_d81b223c7f_b.jpg

3910873958_5e19ace4e2_b.jpg

Edited by vanuatoo

This guy put together some rear tire carrier designs along with a skid plate design with dimensions.

Nice designs on the tire carriers too - replaces a trailer hitch and swings out for access to the rear hatch.

http://r50projects4free.googlepages.com/home

Edited by sthrnfat
  • Like 1

This guy put together some rear tire carrier designs along with a skid plate design with dimensions.

Nice designs on the tire carriers too - replaces a trailer hitch and swings out for access to the rear hatch.

http://r50projects4free.googlepages.com/home

Designs are cool and everything, but a downside of that design tht has been brought up before is the fact that you lose departure angle quite a bit, since the bumber goes around the stock bumper, rather than replace it. Cool design to use if your not that serious into offroading though. Or maybe even easy to modify to replace the stock bumper...

I do like the skid though.

Pretty cool to have free drawing like that !

For expedition truck who don't do extreme off-road and rock crawling the tire and

jerry can carrier are off the hook.

Skid plates are nice too.

I might looking for a metal fabricator to have some of these made.

But are these drawings for R50 1996-1999 or 1999-2004 ?

Edited by maikan