Pathy won't start

kingsnake

Hey guys,

So here's the story with my problem:

Went out to get some mud on the Pathfinder last weekend. Mission was successful. Headed back home, stopped on the trails at some points to push passenger front fender back to stop it rubbing on tire (damage for pushing some saplings out of the way to go back on a trail). Stopped for food, made it back home perfectly fine, no problems at all. Go back to the pathy 3 to 4 hours later, tried to start it and it just wouldn't.

It's turning over and cranking but the engine just won't start. Can't really smell any fuel when trying to start. Entire engine bay is pretty much covered in mud at the top half (got in through the grill?). I checked my ECU for trouble codes and it spat out code 34 for my knock sensor.

Is it possible that the mud damaged the knock sensor somehow or the connection for it, or is it the fuel lines that might have gotten clogged? Also, would a knock sensor being damaged cause the car to not start at all like what's happening right now. I know the knock sensor tries to detect engine knock and then tries to stop the ignition timing to prevent engine damage (para-phrasing from 94 repair manual), but I don't really understand how it won't let the car start.

Also, how tough is it to replace the knock sensor? It's underneath the intake on top of the block I think, so I probably have to take the intake off to get to it. Problem is that I don't have any kind of place to wrench on it, it's sitting in my complex's parking lot right now.

Pathfinder is stock, running 31" tires, and year is 1993, the SE-V6 model.

Thanks for any help in advance. I really want to get the pathy back in working order, feels like something's missing with it not working.

Those are the 2 primarys, fuel and spark. Check simple things too, blown fuel pump fuse maby? Could have got some muck on top of the tank and shorted soemthing a little and popped the fuse :shrug: (just throwing it out there)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your help guys. I ended up having to take it to a shop, couldn't replace the knock sensor where the truck was parked. Ended up that the Fuel Pump was FUBAR. So now, after $600 and a fuel pump later, the pathy is back in working order. :D Sucks that now I don't have any gas money for it for another week....