Jeep Cherokee Death Wobble

01silvapathy

Call me screwy but we are working with a SOLID AXLE truck here right? Or are we using different terms for things that may have multipule names?

Yeah it is a SFA vehicle. The front is set up kinda like the rear of my R50, with the solid axle, and 2lower and 2upper control arms

Keep in mind that on linked suspension systems your drag link and track bar need to pivot on the same plane to eliminate bump steer which can be related to your death wobble issue. Therefore, when you put in a drop pitman arm, you must also drop the track bar on the frame side. i know Rubicon Express makes them.

Also check your caster, with that much lift it's probably a bit out of whack, but it can be fixed with adjustable links. if you don't have adjustable links, then try just taking the 2" spacers out to see if it goes away to find your problem.

Edited by SteeevO

Keep in mind that on linked suspension systems your drag link and track bar need to pivot on the same plane to eliminate bump steer which can be related to your death wobble issue. Therefore, when you put in a drop pitman arm, you must also drop the track bar on the frame side. i know Rubicon Express makes them.

Also check your caster, with that much lift it's probably a bit out of whack, but it can be fixed with adjustable links. if you don't have adjustable links, then try just taking the 2" spacers out to see if it goes away to find your problem.

X2 here...Adjustable links would also be good help to bring your axle back to the proper alignment as well. It does look nice a nice project though! Personally, buying something that is "out of the box" is less fun than buying something that needs a bit of playing around with...regardless of whether it is a Pathy or whatever! :my2cents:

No, they are called upper and lower control arms, look on rusty's they list them as lower control arms, not links. Anyways, im going to have to agree with you magreggor, builoding up a project is half the fun, and the cost has been split up between 2 people. So its a win win we started with a broken beat up xj in the beginning of summer and by the start of school its completely changed! All the experience of putting on the lift, building the front bumper FROM SCRATCH!, and all the body work, combined with all the other random things, you can see what you can do with a 800 jeep. Im beginning to look for my own xj now lol

Before

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

So we have a 5 control arm rear suspension in our WD21 Pathfinders, not a 5 link suspension? A 3 or 4 link suspension isn't a 3 or 4 link, but a 3 or 4 control arm suspension? No, Rusty's has the wrong terminology. I'm sure we all know what they're talking about, but it is indeed a linked suspension, not a control armed suspension. Hence 3 link, 4 link, 5 link.

Can't wait to see some wheelin' pics and vids of it!

Edited by Kingman

So we have a 5 control arm rear suspension in our WD21 Pathfinders, not a 5 link suspension? A 3 or 4 link suspension isn't a 3 or 4 link, but a 3 or 4 control arm suspension? No, Rusty's has the wrong terminology. I'm sure we all know what they're talking about, but it is indeed a linked suspension, not a control armed suspension. Hence 3 link, 4 link, 5 link.

Can't wait to see some wheelin' pics and vids of it!

Yeah they are the same thing whatever i guess diff sites use diff names. Anyways ya thats why we are trying to fix it, so we can drive down the 3hr drive to school, and bring it to Shiloh Ridge Off Road Park, its like 30 mins from our campus.

So we have a 5 control arm rear suspension in our WD21 Pathfinders, not a 5 link suspension? A 3 or 4 link suspension isn't a 3 or 4 link, but a 3 or 4 control arm suspension? No, Rusty's has the wrong terminology.

I wouldn't trust anyone named rusty.

WTF?

I think this is what Adam was quoting...

• 3 weeks later...

First of all my favorite Jeep is an XJ and the MJ, for you non jeepers thats the Cherokee and Comanche. They both share the front suspension used in the ZJ and TJ, again Grand Cherokee and 97 and up Wrangler. Death wobble is very common on all of these models. Your friends problem is the track bar and the steering, as Steveo said. They have to be parallel to each other. Lower your track bar using a frame (unibody) bracket and then drop the steering with a good quality pitman arm. NAXJA.ORG is a great site for XJ info. I would personally get rid off the y link steering and use one of the many steering conversion systems out there, Rockkrawler, Rocky Road both have great systems. Another option is to move the track-bar up into the steering stabilizer mount, I believe Skyjacker actually makes a track bar for this. Good luck. If you need any further info PM me so we can get the JEEP question off the NISSAN forum.