Almost dies on startup

Tungsten

Ok recently like about a week ago I got this weird intermittent starting problem...

Sometimes when I start the truck it sounds like its about to fail and chokes on itself like its about to stall. Then it gets going again like there was no problem!

Anything familiar or is this something new?

It might also be your control system 'adjusting' its self when it first starts up. Sometimes mine will stumble and stutter for a few seconds then the idle will jump up and it runs perfectly.

I ignore it... :shrug:

B

id say i had a similar problem, changed tons of things, nothing worked..and then i changed out my distributor and cap and bammo, worked good...get a timing light..check see if all cylinders are firing..

but i also suggest just checking your distributor cap, wires and plugs

Ok well I already have a recent fuel filter, less than 5000 miles on it

The distributor doesn't look bad either

Can the "OBD I" tell me if I have a misfire?

I cleaned the carbon buildup in the throttle body today, maybe this will help

Turn the key off then on at least twice without starting, then start. Do this for a couple of days at least. If no issue starting, then it could be fuel pump/regulator not building quite enough pressure...

Maybe the fuel tank has a leak? I have a new fuel pump and sender. Maybe I turn the key way too fast? How long should I keep the pump running before I crank it?

Edited by Tungsten

I know in my '90, I don't have to wait at all - I go straight from off to running, first or second crank, every time. Only time it doesn't is if it's been running and fully warmed up, then shut off for a few moments (say, a minute or two) - it acts like it doesn't want to start for two or three cranks, then kicks to life. Only other time is when it's SUPER cold, but that's for obvious reasons :D

I cleaned the carbon buildup in the throttle body today, maybe this will help

Well? Did it help?

I find that when the air intake throttle body gets dirty, the rpms will randomnly drop when the engine is warm and idling. After a cold start, it seems the richer fuel mixture takes over and keeps rpms high. Translation: I strongly doubt that a gummy air intake throttle body is responsible the intermittent starting problem when the engine is cold.

Well? Did it help?

I find that when the air intake throttle body gets dirty, the rpms will randomnly drop when the engine is warm and idling. After a cold start, it seems the richer fuel mixture takes over and keeps rpms high. Translation: I strongly doubt that a gummy air intake throttle body is responsible the intermittent starting problem when the engine is cold.

I second that, cuz mine is a 94 with EFI not TBI, and it does it from time to time, and it isn't the fuel filter, I have replaced that lots of times, it doesn't help. Only thing I have found that makes it quit for a while is using 87 gas or BG 44K every three months for 3 or 4 oil changes. Then I don't get it at all. Maybe mine is an oil burnoff problem, I got 220k on it. I got it with 160k and it has done it since I got it. It seems to get better in warm weather though. Haven't checked out my injectors though, probably why 44k helps.

Edited by 94Pathyman

Tentative translation:

You cleaned in the air intake throttle body and noticed no difference.

Then sometime later the problem suddenly disappeared for no apparent reason.

Have I got that right? Happens to the best of us. :D

94pathyman and Precise1 got it right

its definately a buildup/burnup problem in some cases

i use 93 octane gas so that could have been the engine adjusting too

maybe use a lower octane?

cleaning the intake did help with the power curve and made the idle much smoother :)

also i had to lower the throttle cable to drop the idle back to 800 as my idle increased by 200 rpm

Edited by Tungsten