lubricate propeller shaft

vanuatoo

Hello

SE 4x4

I know that it's good to do that. I looked under the car and found one rubber plug.

Can anyone confirm that there is only one point I should apply the grease to?

Also is there any requirement on the grease type?

Hello

SE 4x4

I know that it's good to do that. I looked under the car and found one rubber plug.

Can anyone confirm that there is only one point I should apply the grease to?

Also is there any requirement on the grease type?

Hi,

i do believe that is the only grease point...and it should be greased every oil change. i recently greased mine for the first time. mine was a grease zerk, not a rubber plug...but maybe that changed from 2001 to 2003...

im sure a veteran on here will be able to describe it better...

never even heard of doing that before. DAMN! I have to take a look under mine...Like I need something else to worry about!!

Jose

Both front and rear shafts should have grease nipples. I've greased both twice now (once when I bought it, and again this spring) and haven't noticed a difference. :shrug:

I am debating installing new u-joints with grease nipples, though...

So are you talking about the front and rear driveshafts.........aka propeller shaft? Im just confused on that part.

Yes driveshaft, propeller shaft I guess is a japan term.

I've looked thoroughly and there is no nipple on the rear driveshaft, only on the front.

• Like 1

Yes driveshaft, propeller shaft I guess is a japan term.

I've looked thoroughly and there is no nipple on the rear driveshaft, only on the front.

Doesnt the front have a slip yoke? Dont have the pathy around to look at it.

• 3 years later...

reviving an old thread? yes - sorry.

Just figured I'd post up for those future seekers of information.

of that zerk fitting on my 2001 Qx4.

I could only find a zerk/grease point on the front propeller shaft. when checking the rear propeller shaft, I found no serviceable point - which confused me; from what I understand the grease point is to grease the slip yoke within the shaft and if the purpose of the slip yoke is to allow contraction/extension of the propeller shaft due to suspension changes, why isn't their one on the rear as well? :shrug:

sorry for calling it a propeller shaft :blush: for all you "drive shaft" folks out there :happy:

Edited by Qx4donald
  • Like 1

To help out my fellow European buddy from the Republic of Georgia, in Europe the rear "drive shaft" is usually called the "prop shaft" for short. The front drive shafts (with CV joints) are called "drive shafts" or "front drive shafts". The rear prop shaft is sometimes called the drive shaft but the front drive shafts are never called prop shafts. The prop shaft "propels" the vehicle forward or back while the drive shafts drive it forward or back. The prop shaft connects to the back axle that drives the car forward or back & the front drive shafts connect to the front wheels to propel the car forward or back. The prop shaft is never connect to the front drive shafts or wheels & the front drive shafts are never connected to the prop shaft either. If your prop shaft breaks you can usually propel the car with the drive shafts, but if the drive shafts break it's hard to drive the car without the prop shaft propelling the car.

Simple eh? :aok::omg::scratchhead:

Don't know why you Americans have a hard time understanding this :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

reviving an old thread? yes - sorry.

Just figured I'd post up for those future seekers of information.

of that zerk fitting on my 2001 Qx4.

I could only find a zerk/grease point on the front propeller shaft. when checking the rear propeller shaft, I found no serviceable point - which confused me; from what I understand the grease point is to grease the slip yoke within the shaft and if the purpose of the slip yoke is to allow contraction/extension of the propeller shaft due to suspension changes, why isn't their one on the rear as well? :shrug:

sorry for calling it a propeller shaft :blush: for all you "drive shaft" folks out there :happy:

I don't know if your 01 is the same as my 94, but the rear slip yoke seems to be lubed by the ATF in the transfercase. I only have a grease port on the front as well. And like many others I don't think I've ever actually put grease in there.