Rear Hatch Light Switch

CO94LEV6

Okay, so on my 94 LE the lights under the dash by my feet stay on and drain my battery. When I push on the rear hatch I am able to get it to turn off. I cannot tell if it is when I push on the glass or if it is the main hatch itself. Where is the switch that turns off the interior lights? It seems to be somewhere in one of the catches. Is this really the case? Is anyone familiar with this area that can give me some guidance before I start tearing things apart on my hatch? I also get my door open light to come on my dash quite frequently. I am thinking they are caused by the same switch/sensor in the rear hatch. Any help would be appreciated.

three basic solutions will probably be found...

1. latch relocation... this involves washers and a little trimming of the plastic

2. disconenct the wire so the hatch always thinks it's closed

3. wrap some electrical tape around the catch to help shove the slide switch in the hatch upward sicne the rubber on it has dried and shrunk

Thanks for the info.

One thing I've noticed on this forum is that when you do a search you find a lot of people saying to do a search, but nobody makes a link to he post that actually has all the information.

Not trying to be unapprieciative, but it helps to have the link available when trying to narrow down the search.

The initial response from many folks is that "it's not a new problem and has been covered many times. search and you should find". THis is becuase we get lots of folks who don't bother to search and just jump in and ask questions. If you ask a question that has been addressed many times, it will appear as though you did not do any groundwork yourself. If you search and did not come up wiht the answer, it's best to put that info in your post and most likely we will either provide the info directly (which is sometimes easier than searching) or provide the link. In some cases, a problem can manifest itself in many ways... alarm won't set, lights flicker, open door indicator... etc. The first response is usually to let you know what the source of the symptom is and give you an idea of what to search for. We don't try to be difficult (well... many of us don't) but we do expect some level of self help.

with that said... If you can't find what you are looking for, please feel free to repost and we'll do our best to assist you.

Thanks for the info.

One thing I've noticed on this forum is that when you do a search you find a lot of people saying to do a search, but nobody makes a link to he post that actually has all the information.

Not trying to be unapprieciative, but it helps to have the link available when trying to narrow down the search.

do you also want us to fix your truck for you? ;) seriously man.

Thanks for the help everyone. 94extreme gave me what I needed to be productive in my search. I was looking for a push button type switch and I now know that's not the case. I've been an active member on other car forums in the past, but now have a new project car so this forum is going to be my new home for awhile.

The one thing that I noticed is that this forum does not have as many links as I've seen on other forums. I always try to make the posts have a solution not just a "start over", or "dead end" mentality. Meaning that every word that we write and every post that we add is creating an ever expanding library of information. Inevitably somebody will search for "hatch switch" and this post will pop up on the search database. When that member opens the post and sees "do a search" as the responce rather than a link to a post that has the answer, you just made that post a useless dead end. Not only do you not help the original member that posted, you are building and supporting the creation of a library of useless posts.

I'm sorry that I was not knowledgeable enough to know that the switch and latch were integrated together, but forums are meant to be a sharing of information and experiences. It is upon this that we create an environment that supports our shared interest in pathfinders and we help each other as work through our challenges.

I find the search function on this board to be quite lacking. You would probably be better off using google and adding "site:npora.ipbhost.com" to your search string. I've used the search here looking for specific threads and get no results even though I know exactly what I am looking for. Yes I have learned the intricacies of this board's search and it still omits valid search results.

As for the switch, the only permanent fix is to unplug the factory switch and replace it with a quality pin switch on the hatch.

One thing that really bothers me is when someone posts a problem, we make suggestions or help them figure it out but they never see fit to come back and post the solution. I see this way too much in other forums as well. I agree with the closure on each thread (except poho). The result of a search that leads you to a thread should also lead you to a solution not just back into the void of 'search for it'. Thank you for posting the link that you found useful as a solution. (now for my shameless pulg) If you take the time to document your fix and maybe even include pictures, please start a new thread with a name like "How to ..." and perhaps the admins will pin it.

As for being sorry... don't be. That stupid tailgate latch is the strangest thing I have seen in awhile. I sure as heck would not have designed it that way. It is only due to my disassembly and investigation when I had the problem that I learned the stupid mechanism inside.

the only permanent fix is to unplug the factory switch and replace it with a quality pin switch on the hatch.

Not only. You can see another original "russian" permanent fix here.

These pages are in Russian, but attached photos says enough. You need a pin switch and some self-made metal gusset to mount this switch at the hatch lock plate (fix it to plate with weld, rivets, screws/nuts, to your choice). It is real permanent fix - thoroughly tested and approved by our Terrano/Pathfinder community. ;)

Thanks for the info.

I'll look at the members "experience/registration time" and that will determine if I do a search for them and post a link and my experiences...for me pulling the wire was the simplest solution

I'm sorry that I was not knowledgeable enough to know that the switch and latch were integrated together, but forums are meant to be a sharing of information and experiences. It is upon this that we create an environment that supports our shared interest in pathfinders and we help each other as work through our challenges.

What are you sorry for? if everyone knew everything about the problem at hand then there would be no need for a forum as you said

One thing that really bothers me is when someone posts a problem, we make suggestions or help them figure it out but they never see fit to come back and post the solution. I see this way too much in other forums as well. I agree with the closure on each thread (except poho). The result of a search that leads you to a thread should also lead you to a solution not just back into the void of 'search for it'. Thank you for posting the link that you found useful as a solution. (now for my shameless pulg) If you take the time to document your fix and maybe even include pictures, please start a new thread with a name like "How to ..." and perhaps the admins will pin it.

As for being sorry... don't be. That stupid tailgate latch is the strangest thing I have seen in awhile. I sure as heck would not have designed it that way. It is only due to my disassembly and investigation when I had the problem that I learned the stupid mechanism inside.

Yep I give people suggestions all the time via PM nad when I PM them back to see if that fixed it I rarely get a response...its kinda like my job...if my design works perfectly I know b/c I never heard anything back...if it didn't work I hear all about it...

I stuck a thick set of construction staples in the little slider dealy that makes the connection to the light on the tailgate mechanism, basically making it so that it was stuck closed and making the truck think the door was always closed. Exact same thing as disconnecting the wires. :lol:

Thanks for all the input. It's great to see the creativity that comes out with everyone's ideas. My fix was just to realign the latch loop. It was just a little skewed and it seems to be working for the moment. We will see if it lasts.

• 2 weeks later...
The one thing that I noticed is that this forum does not have as many links as I've seen on other forums. I always try to make the posts have a solution not just a "start over", or "dead end" mentality. Meaning that every word that we write and every post that we add is creating an ever expanding library of information. Inevitably somebody will search for "hatch switch" and this post will pop up on the search database. When that member opens the post and sees "do a search" as the responce rather than a link to a post that has the answer, you just made that post a useless dead end. Not only do you not help the original member that posted, you are building and supporting the creation of a library of useless posts.

i can kind of see your point but i don't agree.. to provide someone with a link, I will have to do the same search they are capable of doing for themselves.. so, i gave you hints, something i would have had to do when i searched..

I find the search function on this board to be quite lacking. You would probably be better off using google and adding "site:npora.ipbhost.com" to your search string. I've used the search here looking for specific threads and get no results even though I know exactly what I am looking for. Yes I have learned the intricacies of this board's search and it still omits valid search results.

the main problem with search function is actually not the search function itself.. it is title creation.. a lot of titles do not specify the problem.. "help!" is probably the most common one and it could be just about anything.. so, it is in poster's best interest to be as good as possibly in creating the title of their thread. half the time the content of the thread can not be inferred from the title. it would be good for everyone if all titles were meaningful.

most likely a good "how to" would get put in the how to or pinned.

the "unfinished" thread is a normalcy on the internet.. not really how we can fix that at least here.

I'll look at the members "experience/registration time" and that will determine if I do a search for them and post a link and my experiences...for me pulling the wire was the simplest solution

yup.. pretty much my condition too.

Thanks for all the input. It's great to see the creativity that comes out with everyone's ideas. My fix was just to realign the latch loop. It was just a little skewed and it seems to be working for the moment. We will see if it lasts.

favorite this link, it'll come handy again.. i've fixed mine a few times now like this. lol