Plenum Spacer

These spacers don't look that complicated to make (maybe they are but just by looking at them they look fairly simple for someone with the right tools) could one of our R50 fabricators maybe have a go at it? Krypton, NX4, Jackson Auto sport. Just a thought :crossedwires:

VG parts? Where?!?!?! Only a few for us VG33 guys (and most of it is modded VG30 stuff!!). This looks cool. I know that the throttle body spacere is pointless, but ading that with this...hmmm...maybe. Probably not. Cool product though.

Jose

the Idea is to Isolate the upper manifold from the heat of the throttle body and the of the lower manifold. (both have coolant running thru them). I can't remember where I was but there was a dyno chart posted showing about 5 ponies and 10ftlbs over stock. Of course, This effect would be magnifed if you had larger displacement or forced induction.

Aaron from weirtech.ca (GTA, Canada) makes all my custom flanges and one off pieces I need, all he needs is a gasket and he can make the part in metal with perfect accurate cnc holes and tapped holes and everything. Can use whatever thickness metal you want.

Hes made atleast 15 flanges for me, and like I said all he needs is a gasket and he can make it with whatever metal whatever thickness, and has more than fair prices for CNC machine work. I pay less than $30 each for my flanges, id expect to see a t/b spacer in the $30 range form him, and in intake spacer maybe $50

EDIT: he does price breaks if you can start up group buys and such to, I got some of my honda friends and online friends to buy about 50 of the same flange and it cut the cost down alot

Edited by WOT

Aaron from weirtech.ca (GTA, Canada) makes all my custom flanges and one off pieces I need, all he needs is a gasket and he can make the part in metal with perfect accurate cnc holes and tapped holes and everything. Can use whatever thickness metal you want.

Hes made atleast 15 flanges for me, and like I said all he needs is a gasket and he can make it with whatever metal whatever thickness, and has more than fair prices for CNC machine work. I pay less than $30 each for my flanges, id expect to see a t/b spacer in the $30 range form him, and in intake spacer maybe $50

EDIT: he does price breaks if you can start up group buys and such to, I got some of my honda friends and online friends to buy about 50 of the same flange and it cut the cost down alot

The spacers are phenolic, this is a hard composite material that has very little thermal trasmission. If you make the part out of metal all you are doing is extending your runners and that is missing the point. The point is to themally isolate the upper manifold.

there's a guy making them for the VQ40 over on another forum, here's his claims

hp peak 8hp@5600

torque peak 23ft/lds@4400

more important is mid range numbers

hp from 3600-4800 is 23hp increase

torque 3600-4400 is 23-33ft/lbs increase over previous run."

I think it's the same guy in Cuong's post

I've seen these things come and go for many engines. Increasing plenum volume, runner length, etc. There's a reason why they never catch on.

First problem is the claim of a drop of 40f for temperatures. This unfortunately doesn't mean much since is the temperature of the manifold and not the actual air temperature change. And considering how fast air travels though the manifold, the drop in temperature of the manifold probably wouldn't do much for the IAT.

Second, increasing the volume may increase low end torque but at the same time reduce upper end power. Nissan isn't blind to these things.

So while you might see some all-around results on the dyno, in reality while street driving and heat-soak is not so prominent, there probably won't be much of a difference.

there's a guy making them for the VQ40 over on another forum, here's his claims

hp peak 8hp@5600

torque peak 23ft/lds@4400

more important is mid range numbers

hp from 3600-4800 is 23hp increase

torque 3600-4400 is 23-33ft/lbs increase over previous run."

I think it's the same guy in Cuong's post

I'd take those numbers with a VERY large grain of salt...

The spacers are phenolic, this is a hard composite material that has very little thermal trasmission. If you make the part out of metal all you are doing is extending your runners and that is missing the point. The point is to themally isolate the upper manifold.

He can CNC cut whatever material you want Id imagine. Ive seen alot of billet aluminum spacers

\

I was just putting his name out there incase someone wanted to actually do it since it doesnt look like there is a product developed yet

And considering how fast air travels though the manifold, the drop in temperature of the manifold probably wouldn't do much for the IAT.

Ok, explain why when I blow off hot parts at work the air bouced back at me his warm? 100 psi coming straight out of a nozzle is moving faster than any intake I know. And I'm talkin only 120-180 degrees... Intake manifolds get hotter than that.

Nobody said the gains were huge exept for headpeace.

Edited by MY1PATH

Ahh dangit! Its for the VG :thumbsdown: There are already enough aftermarket parts for the VG....but even with all of them its still not as powerful as the VQ is stock :itsallgood:

the VK will smoke your VQ any day :tongue:

Ok, explain why when I blow off hot parts at work the air bouced back at me his warm? 100 psi coming straight out of a nozzle is moving faster than any intake I know. And I'm talkin only 120-180 degrees... Intake manifolds get hotter than that.

Nobody said the gains were huge exept for headpeace.

hey now, I merely copied and pasted what someone else claims, I have no idea if that info is true

The reason NISSAN does not mess with these items is...more power always means less MPG, with no fail. Perhaps some would say Forced Induction would make good power and good MPG which would be partially true, but the engine was efficient to begin with...then the skinny pedal will ruin that.

These gaskets have not faded with Honda's, only slowed because more people are turboing now so there is less interest in a small "gain" be comparison.

The problem is that there is no "gain", just a measure that gets lost as the engine warms up. The engine generates almost all of these figures up front, but heat soak reduces...no reason to argue as any episode of Pinks you can see people putting ice and other cooling agents on intake manifolds~~~and not because of some nonsensical reason.

I have a phenolic gasket on my civic's intake manifold and would buy one for every car I have if they were made. The intake will eventually warm up, slightly, but will stay much cooler overall and provide more consistant power.

...more power always means less MPG, with no fail.

I strongly dissagree!

3.3 swaps always provide 2 or more MPG and that is more power

Headders Usually provide more MPG (I got +3) and that is more power

My buddy in his z28 picked up 20 ponies and 50 ftlbs of torque with his headders and exhuast. His higway mpg went from 22 to 27

MSD ignitions can provide more MPG and the can provide more power

High Compression pistons in every vehcile I know that went from 7, 8 o r9 to 10 or 11 have always gained power and MPG

The list goes on, I think it more accurate to say the more power you have the more potential you have to waste MPG but if you don't floor it all the time Most mild N/A power mods will net you MPG gain.

Edited by MY1PATH

Blowing air at 100 psi onto a hot surface isn't even remotely close to air flowing through a hot engine.

I know exactly what air does through an engine as I watch it on my laptop when I'm tuning one. The main factor in determining the temperature of the air is the temperature when it enters the filter.

An increase in efficiency will increase power and MPG. Power and MPG are otherwise not related. Simple as that!

An increase in efficiency will increase power and MPG. Power and MPG are otherwise not related. Simple as that!

/\/\/\

Agreed

OEM manufacturers must exploit efficiency on all ranges while maintaining emmission standards and longevity