help me with wheels please!

after my AC lift, im getting new wheels and 32x10.5 BFG AT's, or dick cepek radial FCII's.

question is, what size wheel do i get? i know i get 16, but width? backspacing? im thinkin 16x8 with 3.75 backspacing. if i like the wider stance look, would it make sense to get 16x8 with 2.5 backspacing? thats the next lowest BS that i can find in the rock crawlers. please help me ive been reading these forums for months now and still dont know what to do!

after my AC lift, im getting new wheels and 32x10.5 BFG AT's, or dick cepek radial FCII's.

question is, what size wheel do i get? i know i get 16, but width? backspacing? im thinkin 16x8 with 3.75 backspacing. if i like the wider stance look, would it make sense to get 16x8 with 2.5 backspacing? thats the next lowest BS that i can find in the rock crawlers. please help me ive been reading these forums for months now and still dont know what to do!

Really its your preference what ever you feel looks cool. Personally I dont like too much backspacing right now I got 4.5"bs on a 9 inch rim and am very happy with the stance now, before i had 4"bs on 8" rim and thought the wheels stuck out a little too much. Thats weird though I've never heard of a wheel having less then 3.5" backspacing. anyway good luck with the search.

2.5" BS and your wheels are gonna stick out quite a lot. If that's the look you're wanting, go for it. 3.75" BS seems to be pretty much the norm. That's what I have, and they stick out about an inch or so past the lip. I've got the OEM flares and my tires sit pretty much flush with the edge of the flare.

Let us know what you decide on doing, and by all means post pics! :aok:

FYI, I searched a lot for wheels with low backspacing. I don't like rubbing at all and I didn't want to use spacers. The only wheels I could find that came with 3.5" or less of backspacing were Mickey Thompson Aluminum wheels that cost $130 each, if I remember correctly. I didn't want aluminum because I wheel regularly and the aluminum wheels would get hammered.

Eventually, I found you can order steel wheels with custom backspacing from US Wheel or Cragar via Summit Racing. The lowest US Wheel would go is 3.125" backspacing. I took 3.125" and compensated a bit by getting a smaller width. Went with 16x7 instead of 16x8. That saved me $20 ($70 for the 16x7 vs $90 for the 16x8) and some weight. I think they said they could go lower than 3.125" but then you'd be looking at a reverse wheel. Reverse wheels can sometimes cause problems with the rest of your setup (brakes etc). I am trying different shades of Rust-Oleum right now to see if I can get a nice shiny look. :)

On my truck, the 3.125" backspacing on a 16x7 wheel means my wheels only stick out about 1" to 1.5" rom the fender flares. May be less. I like the look but as others have pointed out, that's a personal preference.

Edited by GoPathyGo

i like the wheels sticking out a little, and an inch or two sounds good, so i think ill go with the wheels with 3.75 backspacing, and hope getting 32's will not cause rubbing!

-thanks guys

rob

I got a set of 15x10's with 3.75" back spacing waitng on some tires to be mounted (32x11.50's). When i put the bare rim on, they stuck out past the flare about half an inch. Can't imagine what it'll be like when the tires are on there. Hopefully and can scrounge up some coins to get a SFD made so i can throw some 33's on these bad boys!

I got a set of 15x10's with 3.75" back spacing waitng on some tires to be mounted (32x11.50's). When i put the bare rim on, they stuck out past the flare about half an inch. Can't imagine what it'll be like when the tires are on there. Hopefully and can scrounge up some coins to get a SFD made so i can throw some 33's on these bad boys!

Sweet!! :aok:

I'm planning on installing 33x12.5 tires when the SFD kit gets here, and mount them on a 15x10 wheel with 4" BS. :D

Took some quick snaps of the wheels I plan on putting on the pathy. They are not new, they came off my buddies Taco before he SAS'd it. They are 15x10 with 16mm offset (between 3.75" and 4" of BS)

This is it on the pathy:

04July2009004.jpg

Side View of it:

04July2009005.jpg

Clearance when turned to the right. Can we say trimming of bumper and fender?:

04July2009009.jpg

Clearance when turned to the left. More trimming needed! Imagine with a 32" tire on there!

04July2009010.jpg

And how wide it is compared to my 31x10.5 tire on the stock 15x7 wheel:

04July2009012.jpg

sorry to thread jack!! :jacked:

Jose

looks sweet jose! i love the wideness. my friend just put 32's on his yukon, with 16x8 rims with 4.5 backspacing. luckily he's got the same bolt pattern as pathfinders, so when i get my lift he said he'll let me test out the 32's, see if theres rubbing, and see if i want more or less backspacing when i get my own rims. works out great :)

Thanks. I would like to get Good Year A/T's on them, since they are not too high in price and last longer then the BFG's do. We'll see. I'm just wondering how much trimming is gonna have to be done to fit these.