redline...

Hey i know this might be a simple or noob question but what is the redline for a 88 vg30i? I usually shift mine around 3 grand but have done it at 4 before.

also wanted to know if you have had yours running at 3000 or 3100 at 70 or if mine is high with these numbers

Perfectly normal. Redline is at 6500 RPM abouts for this engine, or I believe that's where it's electronically limited to. At 4k I am doing 67 mph, but I only have 3 speeds and it's an automatic. By "I usually shift mine around..." it sounds like you're talking about a manual transmission?

Edited by Kingman

Perfectly normal. Redline is at 6500 RPM abouts for this engine, or I believe that's where it's electronically limited to. At 4k I am doing 67 mph, but I only have 3 speeds and it's an automatic. By "I usually shift mine around..." it sounds like you're talking about a manual transmission?

yeah it is a standard. man well that makes a lot more sense. it's torquey so i figured it just didn't rev too high kinda like other truck engines. cool

Hey i know this might be a simple or noob question but what is the redline for a 88 vg30i? I usually shift mine around 3 grand but have done it at 4 before.

also wanted to know if you have had yours running at 3000 or 3100 at 70 or if mine is high with these numbers

Normally I'd shift my 95 manual (same motor/tranny) around 3k also, higher of course if I was trying to get speed, going up a hill, etc.

Go out, pop the hood and look on the passenger fender wall. There will be a plate there and the last line will say HG43 Or HG46. This is your gearing, 4.3x or 4.6x.

Tell us that and the size tires you are running and I'll tell you if the rpm @ 70 is too high.

I'm going to guess that you have the 4.6 and 235/75/15 or 31" tires... :D

B

the redline is marked on the dash tachometer.

some say their truck cuts out at that point; neither of mine ever did..

Yeah well I know sometimes it is right as far as what is marked but I also know sometimes those stock tachs can be misleading. I am running 31X10.50's and have stock gears all around. It makes an extra noise around 4 grand too... know anything about that? like a tick or similar to vtec when the timing changes...

Ok, but I was curious as to which ratio of the two available in NA you had, and yes, the VTEC kicks in @ 4k rpm.

Is it pinging? Predetonation under load like when accelerating, passing or up hill?

B

ok, we're good. thanks guys. oh yeah, with 93 in the tank this time it runs a lot better and doesn't make the extra noise around 4k now. it's gone so it must have been pre-detonating right?

ok, we're good. thanks guys. oh yeah, with 93 in the tank this time it runs a lot better and doesn't make the extra noise around 4k now. it's gone so it must have been pre-detonating right?