New 99.5 Pathfinder!

dkpath96

I just purchased a '99.5 with 91,000 miles, and in pristine condition (as far as I can tell) for under $7000. Lots of subtle differences compared to my '96. Power locks, windows, and cruise, and it's a standard.

Anyone know if the VG33 exhaust manifold issue was resolved for the 99.5's?

My '96 (178,000 miles) went in for inspection the morning I went to look at the '99.5, and it didn't pass due to bad ball joints, bad right-side strut bearing (dang KYB junk), rusting out rocker panels (see pic) and in need of new tires.

I know I can fix it up to pass inspection, but am looking at $1000 or more to do so. Is it worth it?? Trade-in was only $800 so I said screw that. Sure would like to keep the '96 running, it has OME coils, custom skid plate, my good stereo, etc.

Opinions?

post-688-1245413247_thumb.jpg

post-688-1245413270_thumb.jpg

I just purchased a '99.5 with 91,000 miles, and in pristine condition (as far as I can tell) for under $7000. Lots of subtle differences compared to my '96. Power locks, windows, and cruise, and it's a standard.

Anyone know if the VG33 exhaust manifold issue was resolved for the 99.5's?

My '96 (178,000 miles) went in for inspection the morning I went to look at the '99.5, and it didn't pass due to bad ball joints, bad right-side strut bearing (dang KYB junk), rusting out rocker panels (see pic) and in need of new tires.

I know I can fix it up to pass inspection, but am looking at $1000 or more to do so. Is it worth it?? Trade-in was only $800 so I said screw that. Sure would like to keep the '96 running, it has OME coils, custom skid plate, my good stereo, etc.

Opinions?

First, congrats on your new ride. It's got low miles for its age!

So, how is it that the inspection tech diagnosed a bad strut bearing and failed the inspection because of it (plus the others)? Who'da thunk PA would have more strict vehicle inspections than California? Go figure...

$1000 to fix the truck? How did you come up with that?

Just spray some expandable foam in that rust hole, slap some bondo on it, and spray some bedliner over it. Done. Ball joints? Those are easy to do. Strut bearing? Not too difficult, assuming you have the right tools.

Tires? Well, you gotta buy those anyways, sooner or later. They are, after all, consumable items.

Edited by XPLORx4

So, how is it that the inspection tech diagnosed a bad strut bearing and failed the inspection because of it (plus the others)? Who'da thunk PA would have more strict vehicle inspections than California? Go figure...

huh?? theres no vehicle inspections in Cali?? other than smog check, and the occasional trip to the referee when you get caught with illegal parts....

and CHP inspection after buying a salvage car from a junkyard...

huh?? theres no vehicle inspections in Cali?? other than smog check, and the occasional trip to the referee when you get caught with illegal parts....

and CHP inspection after buying a salvage car from a junkyard...

"Illegal" parts are only those which affect emissions.

You'll never fail a biennial inspection from a loose ball joint, rusty rocker panels, a noisy strut bearing, bald tires, or even a burned out brake lamp! Though, you might get cited for bald tires or a burned out brake lamp.

Also, a salvage inspection is a special case, of course.

My thoughts exactly, XPLORx4. That is why I've rescheduled for a 'second opinion' at another garage. This place was a body shop and I think they wanted my $600 for repairing those rocker panels.

Thanks for the hint on rust repair, I actually plan on cutting out the rusted metal and welding in a new piece.

As for the ball joints, are those to blame for a nasty shimmy when turning to the right above 50 mph?

Anyhow, I have put lots of time and energy into my '96 and I just don't plan on giving up on it any time soon. It's like a part of the family, ya know?

Edited by dkpath96