Handbrake

Tungsten

My handbrake only works on its last 3 clicks or so and I would like to adjust it so it engages sooner. I have the mini-drum kind. From what I have seen, there is a nut that I can turn to pull it closer but I think mine is already at the end and cannot be adjusted further. I can tap some more thread on there but don't want to risk snapping any cables. Any other ideas?

Shoes are good, I checked them when I replaced the rotors. I don't know if those shoes could be adjusted but they don't look bad. If the cable is stretched, do I need to replace it?

By mini drum you mean rear disc brakes correct? The self adjusters don't always work, especially if they get dirty.

Here is the procedure to adjust the parking brake:

Raise and support the rear of the truck safely.

Remove the adjuster hole plug at the rear of the brake backing plate.

Make sure that the parking brake is fully released, then rotate the star wheel adjuster DOWNWARD with a brake adjusting tool until the shoes are touching the brake drum.

Back off the star wheel 7-8 notches.

Install the hole plug and rotate the wheel a few times to ensure that the shoes are not dragging on the drums.

Lower the truck and test the parking brake operation.

WD21_Disc_Park_Brake_Adjust.jpg

WD21_Disc_Brake_Diagram.jpg

the drums are self adjusting.

If its your parking brake, most likely stretched cable.

If so, get under your rig, there will be a Y in the cable almost directly under your rear seats.. screw the nut in for tighter, out for looser.

If so, get under your rig, there will be a Y in the cable almost directly under your rear seats.. screw the nut in for tighter, out for looser.

He said he already has it maxed out.

From what I have seen, there is a nut that I can turn to pull it closer but I think mine is already at the end and cannot be adjusted further.

So basically I have to turn those star shaped nuts in the drums correct? Also should I loosen up the Y cable while I'm at it for future adjustments?

FYI on the Rear DISC pathfinders the Parking brake drums ARE NOT self Ajusting.

if you can't get it w/in range using the diagram above and the threaded ajuster on the cable; cut one side where the L & R cables Link crimp a new ball ball end on it. Since your cables have stretched for 20 years they are not likely to stretch much more whereas a new one would.

Edited by MY1PATH

The shoes should never wear out unless you like driving with the e-brake on. I guess I never even looked to see if they were self-adjusting since I've only had to adjust mine once. It makes sense that they aren't since the parking brake shoe is only actuated by the hand lever and not by normal braking.

• 1 month later...

Done! Turning those nuts worked great. Now the vehicle will hold with only 3-4 clicks. :treadmill:

3-4 clicks is good right?

Edited by Tungsten