Weird Noises

pathfinder93x

Hey guys just got myself a "new" pathfinder. Got a 95 manual, mint condition.... never seen one this clean in canada and i know Adam will vouche for that as hes my test driver haha. Anyhow i get a weird noise coming from the back.... it almost sounds like i have beer bottles in the back but my trunk is empty. Im wondering if its the stock suspension as its pretty finished.

Another issue i noticed is when i put the tire carrier back on to the truck the lower pin where it brackets onto the body moves up and down alot making alot of noise going over bumps... any suggestions?

thanks in advance

Mine makes that first noise too. I can not figure out what it is. I have changed the shocks, rear control arm bushings, sway bar end links, sway bar bushings, and made sure everything else under there is TIGHT. It is still making noise. I think it may be the rear hatch. I cannot figure out how to shut it up though.

No mechanical and safety check prior to purchase? Canadians are such famous BSers, especially in the used goods markets. :)

For the tire rack, duct tape wrapped around the horizontal bits and thick rubber glued to the rack to the immediate left of the pins will reduce movement and noise.

the car was inspected 3 times actually, my personal mechanic which i work hand in hand with checked it out too.... I have also owned 4 of these and pretty much know them inside out... I have another tire rack on my 93 so I think ill try to take the bushing/pin off that one.

This truck is honestly the cleanest pathfinder i've seen in canada.... theres no rust and it was very well maintained. Im thinking that glass shattering noise can be the peice of crap hitch the guy put on as the pin isnt even in it and the bar still stays there... i tried to slam it out, grease it... everything possible but its jammed tight. Im taking it off to replace it with my drawright... i guess its one of those fixes... one step at a time.

if your tailgate makes banging noises, make sure your striker does not wiggle, if it does get another one

if the striker is good then adjust it more inward so it pulls the tailgate closer and the rattling will be long gone

I traced a REALLY annoying noise in the back of my truck to some wire connectors inside the inner fender being loose and banging around. The previous owner wired it for towing and the installers I guess just left everything loosing to move about. A few wire ties and the problem is gone! Might want to check that out. This is accessed by the little plastic door by the rear taillight in the cargo bay.

Oh, one more thing: my first Pathy had a broken exhaust hanger that allowed the muffler to bang on the frame when I hit bumps...something else to keep in mind.