Power Steering Flush

Spenceeros

I have a 92 pathfinder with 213,000 miles and was wondering, is it necessary to flush out the old power steering fluid once in a while? The second part is how hard is it to flush? I've read forums that say all you have to do is disconnect the reservoir and run your engine. This doesn't sound like a good idea.

If the fluid looks good and the power steering works fine, why touch something that's working? I've never flushed mine in either truck and they're both still full and red (PS uses ATF in these rigs)

Agreed. My buddy (wannabe mechanic) told me I should do a flush because the PS fluid "looked and smelled burnt". :lol:

My other buddy (certified Nissan mechanic with 14 years experience) rightfully disproved that remark.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :D

Agreed. My buddy (wannabe mechanic) told me I should do a flush because the PS fluid "looked and smelled burnt". :lol:

My other buddy (certified Nissan mechanic with 14 years experience) rightfully disproved that remark.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :D

You certainly learned that one well eh.

The ATF used is essentially light duty hydraulic fluid. No, most people never change it.

I plan to change mine as it is fairly dirty in my 'new' truck but it hasn't been priority so I'll let you know when I mess with it.

The other option is to do the red neck flush. Use a turkey baster or what ever to suck the reservoir dry, refill with fresh fluid and repeat... :D

B