90 idle and take off problem

My 90 Auto Trans 2x4 is acting up... I think I know but...

Alright... I haven't had much time to really ck on her lately... and I really don't have a lot of time... I won't get in to the BS... I did a little surfing of the site but... you'll see...

Anyhow, when she starts she'll have a tendancy to want or actually cut off... more when cold, but anytime... During first start I usually hear some knocking (kinda like a woodpecker) and stops after a few seconds... Sometimes at a stop she'll idle real rough and once and a long time she'll cut...

But if I drop her in D or N... it won't cut and isn't as bad...

Take off has been really forced/slow (basically lack of power) the past weekish... I really noticed it a few days after I got back on island (about 2 weeks ago) and my buddy that I left her with mentioned it too a couple of days ago after I picked him up from work...

I change out the plugs and wires like 2 months ago... and I've used super since I got her like 2 years ago, because the guy I bought her from said he did for x amount of years...

The bottom line is... I like to play mechanic from time to time but I don't have a lot of time and I only got the one horse... and getting Nissan parts on island can be a real pain in the ass (99.9% of the time) and don't get me statred with the shipping... I had an emergency in Texas that required my immediate attention and I sprung for a flisht with 36 hour notice, that wasn't cheap...

Any and all useful information is greatly appriciated...

Thanks in advance

Edited by texasbudman

wood pecker noise might be a lifter tap.. common on startup... not really a big deal.. mine did it forever and I switched to 10w 30 and it helped.

poor power... poss fuel filter clog? bad tank of gas? cap and rotor? fuel injectors need cleaning? those are the first things I would look into...... :deadhorse:

Check the ECU for fault codes, there is a write up in the How To section. This is usually the best place to start...

You can spot test your O2 sensor (I'll have to look up the specs) and try wiggling the connector to the MAF (right after the airbox). These are both common causes for rough idle and loss of power...

B

• 2 weeks later...

Its amazing when you get a nice little three day weekend you can think a little straighter...

Anyhow, I couldn't find the Sea Foam here... but I picked up a Gumout high mileage fule system treatment and cked a few things...

Well things got worst before they got better... so finally my buddy offered to ck it out... and on my way she stalled pretty ugly... Didn't want to turn... didn't want to turn... etc... and finally she coughed up one big nasty cloud of black smoke... and that was pretty much it... no more problems...

My buddy couldn't find anything wrong, because she stopped acting up...

Thanks everyone... with everything going on I just wasn't thinking... as for pulling the code comment... I never got around to diging up my sheet for them... but why is it so many of us never seem to think of that on our own, and we've all done it before...

Thanks again...

Edited by texasbudman

finally she coughed up one big nasty cloud of black smoke... and that was pretty much it... no more problems...

My buddy couldn't find anything wrong, because she stopped acting up...

Never heard of that before, but hey, as long as she runs well. Congrats on the eaasy 'fix'!! :D

as for pulling the code comment... I never got around to diging up my sheet for them... but why is it so many of never seem to think of that on our own, and we'va ll done it before...

Yeah, that's a bit of a mystery. I don't know how many times I myself have reminded people of that, much less how many times others have... :shrug:

B