new tires

Guest bwilbourne

Guest bwilbourne

Ok, I am about to buy 4 new tires and I don't really know what to buy. What should I get? My Pathfinder is a 4x4, but I only do light offroading at best. Since the OE tires (Bridgestones) have permanent flat spots in them, I was kind of skeptical to buy the same kind of tires. Does anyone have a preference?

I also mainly do light off-roading, and have to take on some nasty winter roads.

I have BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KOs on my stock '96 pathy, and I love them. They have a pretty quiet ride and great handling, esp. on muddy or snow-covered roads. I got all 4 tires w/ balancing, etc. and road handler warranty for about 600 bucks at Sears.

I have the same BFG A/Ts on my Pathy.

When you get new tires, make sure the new ones aren't narrower than your OE tires. Otherwise you'll have handling issues. I live most of the year in Upstate, NY and the A/Ts have been a GODSEND in the winter. I can plow through 2+ feet of snow with no trouble in 4-hi. They're the best tires for the money for every condition except mud! :aok:

I have the same BFG AT's and I'm very happy with them. Mine are a little more narrow then the stock tires where, but also a little taller, and I haven't noticed to much difference in handling. The ride is smooth, and it feels like I have more control in wet weather then with the stock tires.

i dont reckon bfg's are worth the boxes they come in (but thats just me) ;)

cooper at's have an 80 000kms warrenty

excellent at tyre, probably the most aggressive at you will ever see

brigestone duellers at's are very good also

• 2 weeks later...

If you rarely go off road like me, you value smooth quiet highway ride with off road tires. I have the Goodyear Fortera HL edition. Aggressive look with super quiet/comfortable highway ride. Nice sidewalls and 50K mile warranty.

I chose the Forteras over the Michelin Xterrain, Yokohama Geolanders, and Bridgestone Dueler Revos.

Great tires, great value, wears well, quiet, good wet/dry traction, and nice looking.

Just bought the MTR tires today and man do they have Bite! Took them on the Highway doing 70-75mph and I thought they were going to Hum or be loud this is a very quite tire.

Had to go and try the New Boots out.

Just came home

608653_28_full.jpg

The MTR tire size is 255/70/R16 which gives me just over 1/2" more of clearence.

Stock size I believe is 29.4" and new MTR size is 30.9"

No I don't have a lift and I don't think I'm getting one just for the fact that I'm pretty confident in what I can put the Truck through, plus everything is protected except for the Transfer case and I'm working on that.

Well hope this helps you decide just still raving about the Tires still very impressed!!

:beer:

Guest Blazing Red

I'm running a bit larger tire than the OEM. You'll like the name too; Pathfinder Sport SUV P255/70/16. Got them at Discount Tire in Denver about a year ago and have had no problems. I usually do light duty off road (class 4 or 5), but I have run a 6 & 7 with these, and they were great, unstoppable ! even through some torent stream crossings. Also, I have no lift kits, and these fill the wheel wells beautifully. However,when I back up and crank the wheel sharply, the wheel rubs so very lightly on the inside plastic housing. They stick well, have two center channels for good drainage in the rain, plow thru deep snow effortlessly, and they are nice and quiet, and a 100k warranty!

Very nice.

Thanks guys - you forced -argue- me into getting 31's. Hahahaha.

I will let everyone know once I get mine put on - deciding if I should order from Tire Rack or from my local store. Any thoughts?

~jrvanas

Guest Blazing Red

Runnerman,

I definitely will post some pics of the stream crossing when I get the pics from my old Microsoft computer over to my new iMAC.

For picture and specs of the tire, try this web link; it clearly shows the tread pattern

http://www.discounttire.com/dtc/findTireDe...d=005614&cs=255

By the way, miss spoke on the warranty thing. It's 60k, the tires are made by Kelly-Springfield.