What to do with this?

hey guys,

Got the Pathfinder over and gave it a good detail. Didn't take before and after pictures but trust me, it's lookin fine! Anyways, the exhaust is rusting quite a bit and I don't know what to do with it. Whether to put on a tip or to get it cut and weld on another longer tip. I took some pics because the pictures will explain it a lot better than I can. Anyways, if you guys could let me know what the best solution would be it would be greatly appreciated!

80a1637e.jpg

e47328cf.jpg

996ab793.jpg

ae1330e1.jpg

1d8818c7.jpg

a35f518b.jpg

03116500.jpg

Thanks, Brendan

Cut it off where the rust starts and have a new piece welded on. $20, if that. Or just cut it off and leave it.

It looks like that's already been done before, and the rusted piece was of inferior quality.

Edited by Kingman

Cut it off where the rust starts and have a new piece welded on. $20, if that.

It looks like that's already been done before, and the rusted piece was of inferior quality.

Doesn't sound to bad, I'll take a look locally then. I just wanted to know what the best solution was. I don't want the rust to spread any further.

Dude that tailpipe is totally costing you like 100hp, get that @!*% fixed.

It's a rusted tailpipe, it's not going to do any harm aside from looking ugly. Check for rust along the rest of your exhaust though, particularly the ends of the resonator, muffler, and the joint just before the rear axle. Those things you would want to get fixed.

Dude that tailpipe is totally costing you like 100hp, get that @!*% fixed.

It's a rusted tailpipe, it's not going to do any harm aside from looking ugly. Check for rust along the rest of your exhaust though, particularly the ends of the resonator, muffler, and the joint just before the rear axle. Those things you would want to get fixed.

LOL, I just wanna get it fixed because the exterior looks mint except for that. And being a detailer, I want to keep the exterior as perfect as possible. It's already wearing 3 coats of Collinite 845. I just wish I got before and after pics after I detailed it but I didn't.

Actually looking at those pictures it looks like someone put a tip on at some point and that is what has rusted out. Neither the stock exhaust on my '96 LE or the OEM replacement I put on a few months ago have a tip, it looks pretty much like that exhaust right up to that joint where its rusted. I'd just hack it off and leave it be, maybe if your cut isn't so pretty put a tip on it.

Edited by Zibi

I have one of these on my truck looks realy nice!

http://www.truckcustomizers.com/images/pro.../K5FLW311.2.jpg

pictures of mine are here just scoll down(mines stainless steal looks shiny but in the pictures its really dirty) 2.25" to 3.5"

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=20369

Edited by edicer2

im not even a huge fan of chrome tips but man that exhaust look NASTY! i would definitely cut that off and bolt on a small section of chrome pipe thats just slightly larger diameter than stock (so it slides over snugly) you can buy a tip like that at pep boys for under $15

Cut off the resonator, replace the stock muffler with a Flowmaster/Magna/Dyno and straight pipe it! What good is 3 coats of Collinite if no one turns their heads to look at it. ;):lol:

The car is going to be stored again till December so I decided to give it a nice detail before it goes back. By the time I get my hands on it I may have the funds to do that, so I may end up leaving the ugly tailpipe as is for now as it won't get much worst in a dry garage. So once I get it I'm throwing a hitch on it and possible replacing stock muffler with one of those.

i guess im on xfactor's side on that one. I like my cheap cars and random cars detailed and i like my baller cars dirty

you're half on my side. I like all "my" or "our" cars detailed. I just finished waxing my moms G35 and now each car has 2+ coats of collinite 845 :)