Tow hook

flnl

My 94 Pathfinder owner's manual says only to tow the wagon from the hook on the passenger side front, and the holes on passenger side rear.

Why can't I use the driver's side also? Is there anything to do with the steering?

Yeah, on mine there's only one as well.

But I don't know where, I saw a photo of one with two hooks, one on each side. So I remembered the owner's manual and I'm wondering why it says not to use the driver's side of the frame for towing... :unsure:

I think the intent was to read "only tow using the hook and, by the way, it's on the passenger side" not "only tow using a hook that's on the passenger side, never tow from the drivers side". Stock setup had a tow hook on the passenger side. I removed mine to attach the grill guard. I tow from wherever I want. :)

I removed mine to attach the grill guard. I tow from wherever I want.

Yep. :P

But that way half of the force will be applied to each side of the frame.

I remember reading somewhere that the drivers side is for tying down and the passenger side is for towing.

I've seen alot of people though getting another tow hook from a wrecked Pathy and putting it also on the drivers side frame as there are already threaded holes their.

I got another stock hook from the junkyard and bolted it on the driver's side. Works just well on either side, they just don't want you to use the tie-down hole on the driver's side for towing or pulling cause it'll bend under a lot of stress. The tow hook won't, regardless of which side it's mounted on.

• 3 weeks later...

From '96 onward they got 2 hooks at the front.

Unfortunately, dealers often removed one or both of these hooks when fitting nudge bars / brush guards etc...Easy to fabricate replacements.

If ya still got them,

The manual says the LH one is "tie-down only" and the RH one is for towing/snatching.

Having said that, the two hooks are mirror-image identical. SO: What most guys I know have done is upgrade the bolts on both hooks (just in case) and when they go 'wheeling they shackle an equaliser strap between them. Then they'll tow / snatch from the equaliser strap. Anything to reduce the risk of damage. ;)