ROD KNOCK!

calibeater

ok, earlier this week my engine on my dd blew up and lit on fire, so i had to start driving my pathy everyday. well i noticed that it has what sounds like a rod knock. how can i figure out if thats what it is exactly? i cant afford to blow up another engine. i'm really hoping its not a rod knock cuz i already started buying parts for my pathy's make over. is my best bet to just put a stick around on the engine and try to find where its coming from? please let me know if there are any other ways or by this time next week it could be gone. thanks

first off, how BAD is this "knock"?? have you ever changed the maifold studs? cuz they can lead you to believe it's a knock/valve tap........ is it running fine? is the knock only on start up? need more info......

ok more details, i have never replaced the exhaust manifold studs, it seems to be a lil louder when its cold. when its fully warmed up i can hear it while driving slow with window down or at idle, so its not like it sounds like i have a baby diesel under the hood. the noise follows engine speed and i dont really hear it higher in the rpm's. its coming from the driver side and when i put my head by engine bay i can hear it alot louder. my path never seemed to have as much power as my 89 did and they were almost identical, but thats a different problem, it seems to be running pretty good.

well i didnt think an exhaust leak could be that loud. like i thought they were a soft tick. its pretty soft but i can still hear it when i drive. OH, another thing i noticed, you can hear it best when someone rev's up the engine a lil and on the down rev, you can hear it best.

well i logged at least 550-600 miles on it last week and the noise is the same. so i am starting to think it is an exhaust leak.

Edited by calibeater