Weirdness with Waterpump

IBT

Here are the pump numbers and supercessiosn for the 300zx, hardbody and Pathfinder. I didnt bother with the Maxima and Quest. Part number might be stamped on the old water pump.

Z31 300 ZX V6

MANUFACTURE DATE 07/83 TO 05/87

21010-02P25

21010-02P26

21010-02P27

ALL DEFAULT TO 21010-02P85

Z32 300 ZX V6

MANUFACTURE DATE 02/89-08/96

B1010-22P27

PATHFINDER WD-21 V6

MANUFACTURE DATE 07/86-08/89

21010-12G25 AND 2101012G26

WHICH BOTH DEFAULT TO 21010-12G28

MANUFACTURE DATE 08/89 TO PRODUCTION END

21010-12G28

D21 & D21U HARDBODY 2WD V6

MANUFACTURE DATE 11/85 TO 07/93

21010-02P27

MANUFACTURE DATE 07/93 TO 01/96

21010-02P85

HARDBODY 4WD V6

MANUFACTURE DATE 11/85 TO 01/96

21010-12G28

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still not convinced that the previous owner put the wrong water pump on the thing. You stated that the pump listed (witht he wings) is wrong due to the height. I do not doubt that the height is different but I am thinking that the one listed (with the wings) is tall enough. Did you happen to stry to sit the water pump in place and see where the pulley ends up? Would ti hit anything or are you just going by the difference in height? It could also be that the previous owner put the v-belts on incorrectly due to the alignment with the different water pump. :shrug: That seems much more likely (to me) than an engine swap with a non-pathy engine.

That seems much more likely (to me) than an engine swap with a non-pathy engine.

I'd agree but either way if its a pathy engine or not the block is the same an the HB 2wd pump should work fine...I know the car WP wouldnt work with my pulley and would hit the TB cover...if the height of the pump is 1" longer but can install without the fan hitting the radiator or anything else and it allows the belts to line up with the crank pulley then you're golden

Edited by unccpathfinder

here's an idea.... Replace the engine. smile.gif

:laugh: that would solve the problem of not knowing what it was...or throw whatever water pump on there that will align the belts and do the electric fan mod and not worry about if the fan is going to hit anything

:laugh: that would solve the problem of not knowing what it was...or throw whatever water pump on there that will align the belts and do the electric fan mod and not worry about if the fan is going to hit anything

Alright all check this out. Sorry by the way for not keeping on on your comments but I have not been able to get into this string until now.

WTF....I just bought the exact waterpump that was on my wifes 88 pathy from Napa they had to order it.

IT WAS A H20 PUMP FROM A 95 INFINITI J31!

No fricken clue a Infiniti was even in the mix. But I have to thank you ALL so much for your pictures, ideas and help with this. You would think my first pathfinder and all this drama and I would be over nissan but just the opposite these first gen pathys are at the Very top of my list when it comes to 4x4's so I will keep you all updated on the fix. Sounds like I have my weekend in the garage!

• 4 weeks later...
hmmm...going to go check the block i have on the shelf...it looks like to me someone was lazy with the last timing belt/wp change and put the wrong one on there...be back in a few

Well long story short, pathy is up and running.... ya fricken who... But I think the above comment was exactly right Uncc!

Turns out the old water pump I took off had a longer snout then it should have. And after getting a replacement water pump from a 1995 infiniti and bolting it all together belts would not line up and it was just way too long. So ya they put the wrong water pump on to begin with. Crazy but the 300zx I think? I have looked at so many water pumps over the last month, but I think the 300zx water pump bolted right on and the timing belt improved the Idle and everything is super quiet and smooth.

So again thanks to all of you and Uncc you the man...you all were a huge help... :clap: