Weirdness with Waterpump

IBT

:scratchhead: Help Help Help. To all you pathfinder people. The water pump I pulled of my 1988 SE is not the same as the ones that the auto parts stores are trying to sell me. I do not know if someone has put a different nissan motor from another year in this 1988 but as you can see in the pictures below the old waterpump does not look anything like the replacements. Either for a 4cylinder or the 6cylinder which is what I believe I have?

waterpump002correct.jpg

waterpump004correct.jpg

waterpump007correct.jpg

waterpumpWrong.jpg

Any Idea's or help would be a lifesaver at this point..Wife needs the pathy for work on Monday!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is your truck a 2wd? Because yours looks like a 2wd water pump....Mine is like the one the autoparts store sold you.

My pathy is a four wheel drive and the bottom picture of the new water pump is what they sold me for my model car and engine but was obviously wrong. I did not look at any of the 2 wheel drive waterpumps. I did'nt even know there was a difference!

Edited by IBT

both my rigs (91 & 92) have the h2o pump pictured below yours...... i would go with the 4cyl 2wd thing

I am doing some checking now on the 2wd pump... thanks guys for all the comments!

By the way I was on one of the other forums and think I saw King CaCa for sale, is the King gonzo or am I trippin?

!By the way I was on one of the other forums and think I saw King CaCa for sale, is the King gonzo or am I trippin?

not unless you were on rugged rocks off road last year... i was going to sell him last year. he is no longer for sale....... in fact, he gets to enjoy our new home for 3 months (ang get custom front & rear bumpers int he mix) before me n mini me arrive lmfao........ spoiled pathy! :D

Edited by Slick

that looks like a 2wd water pump...I have one thats brand new if you're interested it could be possible that someone also swapped in a maxima or altima engine so you can use the 2wd HB water pump the maxima/altima pump has a shorter snout

I appriciate the offer Uncc but right now I am trying to get this pathy running by tomorrow I will let you know how it goes though, I have been checking the 2wheel drive waterpumps for an 1988 and so far all the parts places are coming up with different bolt patterns and amounts of bolt holes. Arrrrrhhhhh.

heh well good luck...its probably a good thing tho b/c i have no idea where that WP is right now...I know i did an 86 maxima swap and had to buy a 2wd water pump...i bought the maxima pump but it wouldnt work with the truck pulley system...so you may want to try an 86 truck 2wd water pump

not unless you were on rugged rocks off road last year... i was going to sell him last year. he is no longer for sale....... in fact, he gets to enjoy our new home for 3 months (ang get custom front & rear bumpers int he mix) before me n mini me arrive lmfao........ spoiled pathy! :D

It was the rugged rock forum I saw the King for sale on.

Glad your spoiling it not selling it.

BTW still can't find the right water pump. I did look at some 2 wheel drive waterpumps but no luck. I did look at a 1988 D21 nissan pickup h2o pump and it was almost exact except the snout was too short. help!!!

heh well good luck...its probably a good thing tho b/c i have no idea where that WP is right now...I know i did an 86 maxima swap and had to buy a 2wd water pump...i bought the maxima pump but it wouldnt work with the truck pulley system...so you may want to try an 86 truck 2wd water pump

Thanks anyway for looking uncc, still cant find the right pump got close with a 1988 D21 pickup but the snout was to short, so I still screwed, don't know what model or what year to start even looking at for the right water pump.

really??i bet they had a maxima or altima pump in the D21 box...i t was about 2" short huh? sorry to hear that...i'll try to do some research tomorrow at work b/c i know i wnet through 3 water pumps to figure out which ones would work on my swap when i had that car engine in my truck

really??i bet they had a maxima or altima pump in the D21 box...i t was about 2" short huh? sorry to hear that...i'll try to do some research tomorrow at work b/c i know i wnet through 3 water pumps to figure out which ones would work on my swap when i had that car engine in my truck

That would be awesome, any help you can give would be a life saver. As it is I had to take Monday off to head down to the nissan dealership and try to figure out what engine this waterpump came off of, so I can hurry up and put it in with the new timing belt and thermostat.

The one you have looks almost exact to the one from my old HB. Try having them match it to a 91 2.4l (ka series,not the z series motor)4x4. Hope it helps.

Thanks so much I will have the dealership looking tomorrow at this for sure.....

:jig:

Arrrhhhh, still no luck finding the right water pump! Talked to the local nissan dealership and they cannot pin point what motor or model of car this h2o pump came off of. This is crazy. How many possible engines can you put in a 1988 pathfinder body? The long arm water pump is supposed to be the one but it is not the one I pulled off. To be honest the closest pump I can find to the one I pulled off is from a 91 300zx crazy huh. But the snout is still about a quarter inch too short and I cannot mod every other pulley.

I did check the other suggestions you all gave and still no go. Any other Ideas would be great, PS how hard is it

to rebuild a water pump? :scratchhead:

The 'wings' on the wide water pump do nothing but provide a mount surface for the timing cover. The only part that actually seals is what you have on your water pump. The one for the 2wd is like yours, the long one is for 4wd.

The 'wings' on the wide water pump do nothing but provide a mount surface for the timing cover. The only part that actually seals is what you have on your water pump. The one for the 2wd is like yours, the long one is for 4wd.

And K9sar I thought about buying the 4wd pump and moding it to fit...Cutting off the wings...but the height of the pump is way wrong too. It's too short compared to the old one I pulled off. Infact its just a Quarter Inch taller then the nissan 300zx water pump.

out of curiosity does this truck have an efan mod? b/c with my VG I couldnt use the car pump b/c the pulley/fan would foul on the timing belt cover...I look fwd to the pix later on

Uncc I'm not sure what an efan mod is. But here are some pics of the engine. Notice I don't have a place for the extra long water pump that all the parts places say I need for my 1988 pathy.

waterpump038.jpg

waterpump036.jpg

waterpump017.jpg

waterpump015.jpg

waterpump013.jpg

waterpump011.jpg

waterpump008.jpg

this last picture is showing the exact place of the old water pump.

Any Ideas as to the Model or year of this engine would be awesome also knowing exactly where to get the water pump from.

yea...ok that looks like the maxima engine I used...can you snap a pic of the timing belt covers b/c they're very different from what I have with the "winged" water pump

DSCN1746.jpg

I just thought of this...the TB looks like it has a round tooth belt on so if thats true its a newer engine...someone please chime in about the round teeth belts and what years had the square teeth and when they went to round

I'm not much help right now...

I just did some checking the 2wd D21 WP has hte same part number from 86-95...i'm still going to place my bet on that...even the winged water pump should mount to the same holes b/c the block castings are the same...try to get a nissan pickup (D21) V6 water pump and it should work b/c I can't think of anything else it would be...the maxima pump had the same mounts as the d21 but the snout length was significantly longer on the D21 and was what i needed for my accessories to work

The VG30I from 1988 had a square tooth application... looks like yours has either a round tooth belt or a worn square tooth. Your cams look round tooth but I can't tell on your crank. Anywah, the key is your timing cover. Take a look at the pics in this thread to see how the wide pump fits (and I can tell that your block should have one from the flat surfaces to the left of your water pump. The wnd of the water pump actually seals the timing belt area. If you have the covers for the wide pump and someone threw on a little pump, you would have an opening above the tensioner where crap and water would get into the timign cover and... from the looks of your cam sprockets... it has.

thread with pics of front of VG30E (same block as VG30I)

oooohhh I just had a terrible thought... perhaps the previous owner snapped off a water pump bolt and chose to put the smaller one on rather than extract the bolt so the right one could be installed. hmmmm.....

Edited by k9sar

The VG30I from 1988 had a square tooth application... looks like yours has either a round tooth belt or a worn square tooth. Your cams look round tooth but I can't tell on your crank. Anywah, the key is your timing cover. Take a look at the pics in this thread to see how the wide pump fits (and I can tell that your block should have one from the flat surfaces to the left of your water pump. The wnd of the water pump actually seals the timing belt area. If you have the covers for the wide pump and someone threw on a little pump, you would have an opening above the tensioner where crap and water would get into the timign cover and... from the looks of your cam sprockets... it has.

thread with pics of front of VG30E (same block as VG30I)

oooohhh I just had a terrible thought... perhaps the previous owner snapped off a water pump bolt and chose to put the smaller one on rather than extract the bolt so the right one could be installed. hmmmm.....

Much thanks people I will be doing some more checking tonight. Although it does not look like anyone made any modifacations to the fan to accomadate a longer waterpump. But I will be looking for all kinds of stuff broken bolts included and will let you all know what I find with pictures...thanks again..