Subwoofer install?

Sunny

So basically i have 2 Kicker l5 Solobarics and an MA audio 4 channel which i will be bridging for the subs.

My question is how would i go about turning the bass down for the door speakers without fskcin up the bass from my subs.

I read on here about bypassing it by running new wires, which i totally do not want to know.

I have installed subs and amps on my 3000gt so i know how to wire everything. Where do i run the wires in the 01 Pathy? Also how can i run NO bass at all to the speakers or little?

BTW I fixed the deathwobble on the pathy aswell as the shutting off issue. Only thing thats left is the tranny not going above 4k rpms but it doesnt bother me to much and i dont have the money.

So lets see. I have an after market headunit aswell. It is LOUD AS HELL but the bass is to much.

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 3.5 Bose speakers.

Which RCAs should i tap into for the bass. Aux is being used by the DVD and monitor. So if i use a 1 to 2 will it stil work?

Also it has a previous install of a flipdown tv aswell as a visor tv and a DVD player in the dash and VCR in the trunk.

Edited by Sunny

It doesnt bother me. I can still hit 105 easily. It shifts gears perfectly smooth and i do not have that kind of money replace anything. The subs i already have and its like 15bux for the wiring.

The whole trick to hit is letting off a little before 4k and then letting it go ot hte next gear and then giving it some more.

Im already expecting lots of bitching about it so no worries.

If i have the need for speed i will take out my 3000gt. But my throw out bearing went out so my pathy is my only means of transportation.

Well I dont know as much about the newer pathys but my guess is on the deck there is a audio out on the back with the 2 rca ports correct? If you have the audio coming out of this to a rca cable and back to the amp for the subs then you should be ok to turn the bass all the way down on the cd player and turn up the gain on your amp for the sub. Also make sure the "loud" button isnt on on the cd player. Having the loud button on will definatly add way to much bass. Mainly just turn the bass off on the cd player and turn it up on the amp. this should put little to no bass out of the door speakers and all the bass should come from the sub. thats what i have done in my 300zx and my pathfinder. Works great for me and can go extemely loud! Taking the basss away from the door speakers allows you to turn the volume up more with out distortion because the sub is taing the beating from the bass and not the door speakers. Hope that helped if not i must not have read you question correctly

quick q what deck do you have and what is the wattage for the amp? or just give me the model numbers for everthing and i can look into it deeper. normally i would just use a 2 channel amp for subs. I think 4 channel ones are made more for speakers arent they?

Edited by edicer2

Yeah in my 3000gt i have 2 MTX Thunder amplifiers. 4 channel and 2 channel. Memphis dual voice coil door speakers 6 and halfs and 6x9s with 2 12inch kicker Compvrs. Kenwood KDC MP headunit.

In the pathy is 2 Kicker Solobaric L5s. MA Audio M689i i believe. The headunit im nto sure i need to go back to my truck and look but at 8 im going to head to my audio shop and see what they can do for me.

I will take some pictures today. I had some nice ones on my iphone but it was stolen 2 days ago.

Thanks for your help!

o ouch that stinks i hate theft. But yeah check and see if the loud button is off on the cd player and turn up the settings on the amp and you should get some decent bass but notihng over powering

OR! you can get a head unit that has separate RCA jacks for the sub, that way the bass for the sub is separate from the bass to the speakers. But if you don't have money, then that might not be an option for you.

Turning the loud off. Hmm...when I do that all my bass goes away.

And using a 4 channel amp on L5's...Good luck with that. Hopefully the amp has an internal low-pass crossover built in to take the highs away from the subs. Or you could even risk burning your amp up from being under powered by the needs of the subs.

Jose

the loud button is worthless. you sholdnt have to use that for bass if you have your system setup right. Like he siad he didnt have money to replace things so buying a different deck isnt a option. you shouldnt even need to if the current one has rca out. All amps have settings to tune the bass and how much you want. just turn the bass up on the amp(not all the way). The loud button just amplifies the bass and adds way to much to the point where it sounds horrible. and it can also wreck your stock speakers pretty quick they arent made to handle that much bass.

If anything get a different amp

Edited by edicer2

As everyone else stated check to see if your headunit has a sub pre-out. If it does it also has a HPF (High Pass Frequency) crossover built into it which gives you the ability to choose what frequencies are fed to your door speakers. When you bridge that 4 channel amp you might be outputting the wrong resistance to your sub box. You might have to rewire the subs to series, parallel, or series/parallel in order to get everything correct.

One question, why on earth would you put 2x12's in a 3000GT? That thing must have rattled like a mofo! At least when a dude drives by and his ride ride sounds like an empty salt shaker from a seafood restaurant you get a good laugh out of it.

Billy

Edited by EmptyV

I used something like these for my old Firebird, since the amp I was using for the front speakers didn't have an HPF, and neither did the deck.

Read this before you wire anything, and make sure you know the minimum resistance that amp can take when bridged to prevent risk of a cooked amp. I've never heard of someone using a 4 Channel amp to power subs, not to say it can't be done, just be carefull. The lower the resistance is the more power you get from the amp. You go to low and it it'll overload.

/\ /\ /\

Old skool! I love it! This is from when you had to buy a seperate unit to cross over frequencies!

Another way (old skool also) to get the highs out of your subwoofer amp is those RCA plug ins that block highs...I will try to find a name. They look like 50 cal bullet casings and plug in right to the amp or right to the deck, they come in different frequency block settings, however they are NOT adjustable.

That 4 channel bridges into dual single channels..it'll work fine. Its only downfall is that it may not hae been designed to push current like that for long periods of time...but a name brand amp will make it for years.

Anybody remember the old PPI Art series?? Most of those got ran in this fashion...te he he and most of them didn't have freq. filters either!! ( I still have a 2 channel and a 4 channel and am still using them!)

edit: found them! Still out there made by Harrison "F-MODs"

Edited by 02silverpathy

The RCA ones are also on Crutchfield. I think the name for any device like this is an inline-crossover.

Edit- The RCAs go before the amp, and the plugs I showed go after. Whichever is easiest, I think they would be the same sort of effect.

Edited by Orangetang

/\ /\ /\

Old skool! I love it! This is from when you had to buy a seperate unit to cross over frequencies!

Another way (old skool also) to get the highs out of your subwoofer amp is those RCA plug ins that block highs...I will try to find a name. They look like 50 cal bullet casings and plug in right to the amp or right to the deck, they come in different frequency block settings, however they are NOT adjustable.

That 4 channel bridges into dual single channels..it'll work fine. Its only downfall is that it may not hae been designed to push current like that for long periods of time...but a name brand amp will make it for years.

Anybody remember the old PPI Art series?? Most of those got ran in this fashion...te he he and most of them didn't have freq. filters either!! ( I still have a 2 channel and a 4 channel and am still using them!)

edit: found them! Still out there made by Harrison "F-MODs"

I totally remember those, they were huge and super overpriced. I think back then you payed about $2/watt right? I've got my old Crossfire 402 sitting at my shop, still works like a champ!

Billy

So i got it all installed thanks for the help guys. I guess the amp is crap quality because when turned up the protection goes on. With hours of &^%*ing with it, wiring the DVCs in series grounding it 3 different times with 3 different wires and 3 different location, checking the voltage of the rca and the amperage of the terminals it still cannot pound that loud but it bumps nonetheless so im happy.

Yesterday i got all the sparkplugs changed, now my revving past 4k problem is no more (Somehow). The truck is running healthy on that part.

Now i dont pass smog tho. Tested it 3 times and still havent passed. Even after doing a 70 mile drive no pass. So now im like @!*% what can i do. The OBDII came up as Idle Air Control and O2 sensor. The sensors have been changed tho so im guessing the Catalyic converter is fskced which is what all the mechanics are saying.

Now their are 4 so im like @!*%. They said 1 is bad 2 are getting their and 3 is alright. He said 850 from dealer. I said well i can buy a new exhaust system now.

So basically i dont have that kind of money so im trying to get it "Smogged" *cough* somewhere. Anyone know someone in Socal? After i pass smog i can finally get it tinted to :D

So now im looking for a way to get more top end with less cash and passing smog. While getting the beast back and healthy.

Wiring them in series increases the impedence, which lowers the amount of power you will get from the amp. There are many ways you can wire 2 DVC subs to an amp, but if it's hitting overload at high impedence, I doubt lowering it would help, but you could try. Have you played with that? Or tried just running one sub instead? Check out the crutchfield link I posted before, if you havn't.

• 4 years later...

what ohm do you have you subs wired up to because if your amp is only safe for 4ohms and you wire your subs to run at 2 ohms it will kick it into protection with just the first big bass note i had this isssue with a sony amp and 2 kicker comps just look up how to wire your subs to 4 ohm and try that