Whoa, I just got my manifold exhaust leak fixed

Guest A_Perd

Guest A_Perd

The thing sounds like a new vehicle...I actually like to drive it now..

It's been like that the whole time I've owned my truck, what a difference.

Sweet deal, maybe i'll keep the hunk of crap.

i acutally did mine too, she drove real good, more power sounds sweet but three days later it busted again because the factory bolts were broken in the block, tried to take them out put new bolts but didnt' work. i'm just going to install headers, don't care if it illegal or not.

Guest A_Perd
hunk of crap.

:nono: not a pathy

I dissagree, Mine has given me problems since day one. But for some strange reason I still like it alot.

Exact same thing with me.

I've replaced the radiator, timing belt, radiator hose, rad hose cracked so replaced that, water pump, manfold leak fix, I still have a gas leak, bad alignment and my tires are getting eaten alive so I have to take care of that too.

I still like the thing too...I dunno wether to hold on to it still though, it's at 296,000 km, ya know.

Yo A Perd,

You mentioned you have a gas leak? I'm running into the same thing. I got under my Pathy the other day and the gas tank skidplate looked wet in a particular area. Not the whole thing, but a 1/3 of it. I reached up to check the gas lines and the connections where the fuel pump would be and nothing. :shrug:

My garage smells like a gas can. You can get a great buzz going if you stayed in the garage long enough with the doors closed. :blink: What do some of you guys suggest? I really would like to make it simple and fix it myself, but who has the time?

Thanks! :beer:

I had the same kind of symptoms 94 Pathy is describing, garage smells like gas, and the skidplate is wet in only one area, but not enough to leak down to the floor. I figured out it was one of the little dimple looking spots straight underneath where the fuel sending unit sits in the tank. It was a very slow leak, so I tried one of those TEMPORARY gas tank repair kits. If by temporary they are talking 10 - 20 seconds, they work great, but otherwise I suggest getting a new tank.

My next decision was to get a tank from a junkyard as long as it looked in decent shape inside. $60 later and a lot of screwing around under the Pathfinder in an unheated garage and below zero temperatures I had the new tank installed. The leak was gone but now I couldn't pump gas into the tank any faster than about 10 minutes per time. I finally decided to give up and just bring it to Nissan service and find out what was going on. They said some rust had gotten into the fuel sending unit from this "new" tank and was clogging the unit. The fix would require a new tank (guaranteed there is no rust in them) and a new sending unit as this could not be cleaned out. If I ever have a problem like this again I will just buy the new tank in the first place and save a lot of money, headaches and wasted time. Good luck with your repair, let us know what you find!

• 4 weeks later...

As soon as I removed the heat shield today half of a broken stud on the passenger side fell on the ground. Is the other half the part of the stud that is a "pain in the arse" to remove? Because from what I've read on the forum it seems that the stud is extractable from the outside, but if this is true then I have nothing to grab onto with vice grips, etc. There's just an empty hole in the manifold where the stud was. To get the rest out do I have to take something apart to get to it from the inside? I'm ready to fix this problem. :help:

All of these "minor problems" are still problems that we would like to fix. Even though it's not an SAS or 350 swap topic, some of us still need help. I think that is the purpose of the forum. If the topic does not apply to you, you don't HAVE to respond.

Woah.....I don't think that's what Diesel Boy was getting at........I think he was referring more to the fact that even after 200,000 Miles, our worst issues with our vehicles are things like manifold leaks and other minor things of that nature.

As opposed to being worried (in some cases, 100,000 miles ago read:Chrysler, Ford) about getting a new vehicle, we're doing what we can to fix the little things wrong with our vehicles because of how good they've been.

I doubt very much that he was trying to put anyone's topic down, as he's usually very quick to offer any assistance he can.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pathfinderdriver

When I pulled some broken exhaust manifold studs I ran into the same problem. Broke to far in to get vise grips on, and I was real nervous drilling a stud out of a aluminum head. I decided to very carfully tack weld a nut to the stud and put a wrench on the nut to extract. The heat of the welder help loosen the stud and I had something to grab onto. I would recommend replacing all the studs, nuts and spacer with new while you are there.