its a knock er a ping

JonesyUSN

ok so my stuff knocks or pings at about 2000-4500 rpms especially when going up hill. my mechanics at the shop thought it was spark knocks. they suggested i use a better gas.. so ive been using super which took away the majority of the noise. however it is beginning to come back. so i used the carbon cleaner stuff. the works.. through the intake the gas and the other one. i think the injectors. anyhow this still didnt cure the problem. so i dont know whether my block is just frocked up or what. it doesnt leak oil or anything.. i do however leak brake fluid. which i believe is because on my right rear caliper a pad fell out do to misinstallation so i think the whole caliper locked up.. so its leaking from the line i think.. i tightened it up and there is still leaking so im just gonna replace the whole caliper and line. the fluid drains out of my master cylinder and the other one for the clutch. i dont know if this would cause any of that pinging or not. but it happens.. hopefully not for long.. i did some searches and couldnt find anything too similar to my problem. there was one i replied on but i dont think it was the same. anyway.. if you guys and gals if there are any.. have any suggestions i would appreciate it. on base here they have a shop that gives free diagnostics. so if i dont figure it out by the time i get her here im gonna take it too them.. its really nice after they diagnose it they let you use the shop and tools for free. anywho thanks for any help.. have a good one

Hmm. Run your Computer Codes and See if your Knock Sensor is bad. If the sensor is Bad, If i remember Right, It Changes the air/Fuel Ratio to adject for the Knock. If it is bad, it wont do what it should do, and you get a knock. Also check your Oil pressure and Level and quality. But RUN the Computer Codes. Its SOO helpfull for situations like this!

when i replaced my water pump the timing belt was removed. my neighbor had a manual with all cars from 72-02 with a timing belt.. so my timing was set to the vg30e on a maxima because the Pathfinder was not in the book.. im assuming its because there are several models that used the vg30e. so i know the timing was done correct. and if the knock sensor is bad how much am i looking at spending. i used to work for a dealership so im thinking they might be able to help me out a little bit.. and i just took a trip from dayton ohio to chicago illinois in it.. it did alright, but i did notice some power loss.. but she purred all the way up.. 145k and still kickin like a mule. anyway thank you so much for the help..

I was quoted anywhere from $160 (Napa) to $250 (Schucks) for the knock sensor. It ran about $500 parts and labor. There is a write up on here if that is indeed your problem. I just didn't have the time, shop, etc. to do it. But yes, check your codes. Very quick and easy to do.

how would i go about checking codes.. i suppose i could always stop by the old dealership and see if they would let me use their tool.. if not would i be able to get a cheap one.? cus i really wanna know what the dealio is

wow.. man i love this Pathfinder brotherhood stuff.. haha.. you guys are great, ok i gotta study for this radio frequency test.. ill check into it more.. there is a free diagnostics shop on base.. they might be able to find it.. ill keep ya posted though.. thanks a bunch.. :D:D:D:D