Brake Rotors

ronin152

Going to get some new brakes coming up here. I have been looking at a few rotors and needed some opinions. Anyone have any recommendations for brake pads? Do you guys recommend putting in SS brake lines? I would probaly say the EBC are out of the contending due to the fact that they are dimpled. From what I have been reading, cracks in drilled rotors is only under extreme conditions such as racing or high perfromance cars. I don't think the pathy will be any where near that.

Stillen $254.54 for a pair

NIS5200.jpg

Power Stop $250

pwr-ar-8151l_w_pair_m.jpg

Baer $242

bhi-3258-020_w_m.jpg

EBC $191.95

ebc-gd041_cp_w_m.jpg

Edited by ronin152

For my 98 I had bought rotors from "GForcebrake" on ebay...they sell Magnum rotors from Canada...super happy with them---they are still on ebay and sell Magnum Cross-Drilled rotors for $108 plus shipping. They are selling them with Magnum brand Ceramic stoppers too in this $108 price....they are good enough for me!

All the pictures are the ones on the site that say "this product picture is not a representation of the actual product you will recieve" I liked the Baers also. They are more of a name brand then any of the other brands and look pretty decent.

Rumour has it Brembo makes a set for the R50. Can anyone confirm this?

I have brembo "blanks" meaning they are not cross drilled or slotted.... they are flat face like stock, made in Italy by Brembo

matched with Hawk HPS pads and im quite satisfied with the performance. they feel like the hotter they get, the better they grip. no fade.

sorry no experience with cross drilled/ slotted on the Pathfinder. i read some reviews of the ones on 4x4parts.com that say they work good but make some noise when braking $235 a pair

whats wrong with the ebc's

Dimple (or slots) in a disk actually act like a slicer.. It removes small ammount of material each time you use them. They will work great, but they will last you less.

here's an exerpt from wiki: "Discs may also be slotted, where shallow channels are machined into the disc to aid in removing dust and gas. Slotting is the preferred method in most racing environments to remove gas, water, and de-glaze brake pads. Some discs are both drilled and slotted. Slotted discs are generally not used on standard vehicles because they quickly wear down brake pads; however, this removal of material is beneficial to race vehicles since it keeps the pads soft and avoids vitrification of their surfaces."

ya, like fueler has. we're not racing so we don't need slots or cross-drilling. regardless, on lower-end products (like stuff for SUVs), they're purely for aesthetic appeal. i just want something with great stopping power and resistance to fade/warping.

my current rotors are embarrassingly warped; i think i'll be getting brembo rotors as replacements. OE rotors are expensive already, i may as well spend the extra bucks for some real quality stuff.

spend a little more now and youll spend less later.... a few years ago i replaced my rotors with some cheap-o generic ones, and cheap brake pads, they warped so bad its not even funny, plus the brake fade was ridiculous (and dangerous)

less than a year after that, i had to switch everything up and thats when i went Brembo / HPS and ive never been happier

I installed the Stillen Brake-Pro drilled rotors a couple of years ago in my '98, together with Stillen metal matrix front pads and Goodridge stainless steel brake lines all around. At the same time I also installed new OEM pads for the rear drums, adjusted the proportioning valve (as described in the service manual) and did a good flush of the system with new brake fluid.

It made a huge difference in braking. Absolutely no fading, and has been holding up really good. I would highly recommend to anyone wanting to improve their brakes.

Edited by arcano

arcano,

how did you check/adjust the rear proportioning valve?

the instructions in the FSM are ridiculous, i have never adjusted mine, is there any way to simply eyeball it?