Whirring at any RPM

casey

So it sounds like a common issue but not as common fix.

It's at all rpm range. In park or in gear. At all speeds. I removed the power steering belt and still there. I have used the stethescope on everything from the transmition to the wqater pump and everything in between. Tranny makes a slight whirr. Power steering pump resevoir make a whirring noise. Timing belt cover makes whirr noise. I put on new belts noise still there. I am going to do a tranny service but if that doesn't work I am lost.

does it increase and match the rpm's? or is it steady no matter what

Ya it matches the rpm wether I am in park or rolling down the road. So far I have read about clutch fan, tensioner pully, transmition, cat, that is why I am lost. will a transmition make a whirring noise even though it is in park? It's an automatic so it's not that 5 speed issue I have been reading about.

Thanks

The trans CAN make a whirring noise if it's got something wrong with it. Mine did when it blew. Steady whine/brrrrrr noise.

Turns out to be the fan clutch. Bearing gone and seal went. Can I weld the clutch to the shaft for a temp fix to get me to Napa?

You should be able to drive the truck as long as you keep rolling 25+ mph. The temp will only rise at stoplights and such and usually come back down when you are moving again.

B