CV axle vs Warn premium hub

fleurys

Looking for some off-road experience.... If I was to have an arb locker in the front of my rig, and get plenny of traction while going up on a rock (let's say moab) :happy: and not yank it or anything, just steady throttle and plenty on traction, What would break first ; the hub or the axle ?

now this is in theory... the question aplies to my rig while taking in account the AC lift with 32"...so the axle has a good extended angle while torque being applied...

Just wondering..what would fail first if the forward progress was not possible and throttle was still aplied...

Tks.

edit : Also might as well ask, : is there any other cv axles available in diferent material (alloys) like chromoly or any other than the "regular" metal? if not and you had access to a custom shop, what materials would you make a cv axle of ?

Edited by fleurys

if this is a concern of yours then buy the replacement spine rings from Warn that are designed to break before you cv does. the ring can be changed in 5 min or even diven broken (In 2wd) versus dealing with a broken cv on the trail.

if this is a concern of yours then buy the replacement spine rings from Warn that are designed to break before you cv does. the ring can be changed in 5 min or even diven broken (In 2wd) versus dealing with a broken cv on the trail

Actually i,m trying to find which one is the most fragile : warn hub or near limit extended cv axles ?

I would venture to guess that the CV would loose to an out of the box warn hub.

but still I think the upgrade to "beakable" spline rings (part of a warn hub) is a decent Idea and I think they are only 5 or 10 bucks each.

a CV axle isn't much harder to replace on the trail than a hub... ;)

How do you figure?

a hub can be done wheel in place its just 6 allen bolts and a snap ring.(allen key and snapring Pliers)

If I'm not mistaken to change a cv theres a bit more that needs to come off(wheel, hub, ball joint...) not to mention what damage it could do if it flops arround after it breaks.(now you'll also need a jack, lug wrench, sockets....)

Edited by MY1PATH
  • Like 1

I'd have to say the axle would go before the hub...but I doubt it would be the half shaft itself that would die...it would probably be the CV joint itself, more than likely on the diff side than the hub, since the hub-side joint is meant for higher angles than the other. With the lift and 32's, you're pretty much at the safe working limit of that anyway, so I doubt it would take much torque to sheer off that joint. On the other hand, having them custom built isn't necessarily a sane, cheap way to go either...I mean, if money is no issue, by all means. But for a set of CV axles capable of running 45 degrees, I got quoted at $2k for the pair. 2 grand on axles alone, plus the other parts and time into the R50....or 3 grand for a 5" lifted, 35" tire-running Suzuki Samurai with a 1.6 swapped in...I dunno, it doesn't make sense to me to lift and bash the Pathy anymore....

a hub takes 5-10min, and a CV axle would take 30-40min. both jobs need minimal tools.

a hub is far easier to replace than a CV axle; i'm just saying that a CV axle swap is certainly doable on the trail. if he's wondering which would break first, then i'd rather it be the breakable splines or the CV axle - in that order. breakable splines can be replaced in a matter of minutes (in many cases without removing the wheel). if you don't have said splines, then a broken CV axle can be dealt with by unlocking the hub, until you get to a suitable location for repair.

• 7 months later...

a hub takes 5-10min, and a CV axle would take 30-40min. both jobs need minimal tools.

i'm just saying that a CV axle swap is certainly doable on the trail.

I would have to strongly disagree if you live anywhere they put salt on the roads. Recently did my cvs, 6/8 UCA bolts snapped, A-frame might as well have been welded to ball joint snap rings wouldn't get on, I mean this can be a hellish job. I can see if you live in Arizona it would be a 30 min job, not in MN, try 3 hr + (drill, tap, drill, tap, heat, bang, heat, bang, bang, cry,cry,CRY)Repeat

• 2 years later...