Smaller Muffler than stock...does it matter?

MadManMike

Quick question...

So I ordered a cheap muffler just to use for now (one of the "trush turbo") mufflers on summit for $26... but of course I had to select the wrong model number when I ordered. The muffler I ordered is the same length as the stock but not nearly as big around. What would be the side effect of using this muffler?

It's only going to be on the truck till I have time this summer to redo my entire exhaust, and as long as it won't affect my performance I don't care how it sounds...

What do you think? use it or send it back and get a thicker one?

-Mike

Send it back... get the larger pipe size.... go 2.5" exhaust... the whole thing is that if your looking for it to keep performance... you will still have performance... but why not up to the larger pipe and get MORE performance... so it will be a little more expensive... but in the end its worth it cause it will sound nice and yet be more performance...

Send it back... get the larger pipe size.... go 2.5" exhaust... the whole thing is that if your looking for it to keep performance... you will still have performance... but why not up to the larger pipe and get MORE performance... so it will be a little more expensive... but in the end its worth it cause it will sound nice and yet be more performance...

I guess my question is... Will it work for now? Or will it hurt anything? I am just looking for a cheap replacement for my stock muffler, and the one I ordered is about half as thick as the stock one.

It's just a temp job until I have the time and money to upgrade the whole thing this summer.

-Mike

Edited by MadManMike

i say dont put it on... find a local junk yard... get a muffler from another pathy and put it on there... not worth spending extra cash on something new that your not gonna use later....

If you cant get to a junk yard then i can get to one for you soon and get you one... just pay shipping.... and just pay the cost of the muffler...

i say dont put it on... find a local junk yard... get a muffler from another pathy and put it on there... not worth spending extra cash on something new that your not gonna use later....

If you cant get to a junk yard then i can get to one for you soon and get you one... just pay shipping.... and just pay the cost of the muffler...

Well I got this muffler for $26 brand new... and I was already ordering things from summit so shipping included...

Well I got this muffler for $26 brand new... and I was already ordering things from summit so shipping included...

Personally i say don't put it on....

But for now, you could put it on and it would be fine... just remember that if you wanna send it back... you cant cause once its on a vehicle it cant be returned....

Just get a couple of exhaust clamps from advance auto parts and clamp it on there... its gonna leak but if its temporary then its worth it...

tho only isue I could see would be increased back pressure wich would hamper performance... but if its a pretty free flowing muffeler... I dont think it would hurt much. :itsallgood: if its temp, I would throw it on.

Is the muffler body smaller or the inlet and outlets smaller? If the body is smaller you're fine, it might be a little louder. If the inlet and outlets are smaller return it and get one with the right sized openings.

Is the muffler body smaller or the inlet and outlets smaller? If the body is smaller you're fine, it might be a little louder. If the inlet and outlets are smaller return it and get one with the right sized openings.

x2

Inlets outlets are the same size.. Same length even.. just smaller around.

Thanks guys!

-Mike

That is the point, if they are smaller than stock pipe size, get a different muffler.

I think everything is the same but the muffeler itself is the only thing smaller around. :treadmill:

Yeah what he said :D

Sorry Greg bad grammar on my part.

My brain is a little frazzled, a week for spring break was not long enough!

-Mike