Parking Brake

OldSlowReliable

So im testing all my functions of my pathy today, and getting it out in the sun (75 degrees today!)

And i realized that the ebrake doesn't work! I pull up on it and the light comes on, but it doesn't effect the vehicle. I tried from a dead stop with the ebrake on, and putting it in drive, to a roll and pulling on it slowly.

It feels almost as if it doesn't have any sort of tension...

Anyone know alot about this function and where to look for issues?

Cable could be stretched completely, loose and is hanging down so no tension, missing e-brake cable, brake shoes are adjusted all the way in, no brake shoes at all...

Get underneath and look, and make sure everything is all there and the e-brake cable is fairly stout. You can see where the cable comes through the floor and has a Y towards the rear axle where the cables then extend to each drum.

Also check to see if there is a visible difference in the cable with the e-brake pulled. If that's all good, time to take a look at your drums...

Edited by Kingman

I've never really known rear brakes to cause something to pull, I'd think it's more the front to do that, with a rubbing caliper or something.

But it's possible... :shrug:

Someone who knows more will probably chime in soon...

Yes, check cable tension (there is adjustment where it comes out under the back seat). Before just tightening it I would pull the drums so see what the rear brake system looks like.

If everything seems ok, then put the drums on and pull the E-brake 1/2 way and go see if you can turn/remove the drums and inspect again. Do the same thing at full pull. then start playing with cables, etc. Compare the brakes from side to side (shoe spread, wheel cylinder, tension, etc)

Oh, you may need 2 bolts to pop the drums off (threaded holes). I believe they are m6x1.0, I keep 2 in the ash tray for GP.

B

Pull the lever then get out and feel the lines (cables) going to the rear brakes, they should be taunt when the e-brake handle is pulled, if not, something is broken, or not assembled properly. I have broken 3 cables on my 88, it likes to snap em.

well, im lost..

but ill spend a bit tomorrow deciphering all of your language!

thanks for the help...hopefully :)

Ask for specific clarification then!!! :D

Quote it and we'll try again... ;)

B