Thorley waranty

tacoman

I had a Thorley header crack on a '95 Pathfinder. No rust, just a crack at a weld. It been on the vehicle for almost 4 years. I was hoping it was just a gasket. No such luck.

Thorley has a lifetime waranty on their headers. Does anyone have any experience with their customer service.

Check out the cool pic. Put a flashlight in the pipe, 10 second exposure in a nearly dark room.

post-1362-1237103814_thumb.jpg

Edited by tacoman

I fear somewhere in the fine print you may find a whole in that waranty. I'm gonna read mine now...

What Does This Waranty NOT Cover? Damage or problems caused by misuse, abuse, collisions, improper insalliation, alterations, offroad use, use for racing, commercial use, "burn-out" or cracking caused by exissive heatm suprchargers or or external heat wraps. Rust or Corrosion, which occurs after the product is installed, is not covered. The finsh of all chrome plated products is not covered after the product is installed.

"offroad use, burn-out" may be words to be careful arround when you call for waranty, and hope the don't pull the "heat exposure" card on you.

the hard metal thorley uses leaves the also in a brittle condition should an impact occur, I think its been a common problem.

Edited by MY1PATH

I called Thorley today. Talked to a guy named Nick. He said that they did not make that particular header anymore, therefore they would have to special fab a replacement! They needed me to send them the cracked one along with proof of purchase. In the mean-time they would get started on the replacement. It would take about a week. By the way, is there anything else they can do for me?

If they follow thru, and I think they will, this will be a new high watermark for customer service.

Wow.

Tacoman

wow...when I read the warranty conditions I was sure you were f**ked... I mean " The finsh of all chrome plated products is not covered after the product is installed" huuhhh haahh ok...as long as I don't install it, the finish is under warranty ??? OMG !...

Anyway, I would have lost money on the outcome of this one....looks promising...

wow...when I read the warranty conditions I was sure you were f**ked... I mean " The finsh of all chrome plated products is not covered after the product is installed" huuhhh haahh ok...as long as I don't install it, the finish is under warranty ??? OMG !...

Anyway, I would have lost money on the outcome of this one....looks promising...

I belive thorley "crome fiinsh" is a nickel based thermal management coating(helps disipate heat) that is very delicate out of the box and needs to be "baked in" with normal used to reach full hardness.

but yes, I too suspected allot of Back Doors In their waranty. Fortunately none of which were taken and surprisingly considering the part has to be re-manufacuted since it is nolonger in production.

Mine had cracked on me.. i went in to nick (i live 20 min away) and they replaced them. and for a little extra cash i was able to upgrade to the cermic coated ones which i wasn't able to afford back in the day when i bought them.

great experince with thier warranty service.... way bummed they don't produce these anymore under the thorley name.

• 3 weeks later...

Well here it is April 6th and my replacement header arrived. Process took three weeks plus. Thorley replaced the header at only the cost of shipping (total of $26). They did the absolute best that they could: Built a new part, it fits, reasonably quick service, and were nice about it.

Downside, the car was out of service for f'n 3 weeks. I am going to think twice before going with aftermarket parts again regardless of the warrentee.

Anyway, I am pretty sure they did not make any money on that sale. Too bad for everone. :suicide:

Tacoman