HELP! Auto climate control going ape@!*%

FUELER

auto climate control is out of its mind (fan speed is flashing like a techno party) and if i press off it just turns right back on

climate control going crazy and it kills the battery

any advice???

Most likely it's the fan amplifier (similar to fan resistor on manual air). Pretty common.

I just replaced mine. In my research, the common failure mode was fan stuck on high (regardless of button presing, not even off). But it would stop when the engine was turned off and did not affect the battery.

You could try and swap that, but (at least for my '02) it is at least a $100 part on ebay, closer to $200 at the dealer (non-returnable).

Morpheus knows better than I do, just saying don't rule out the head unit.

i unplugged all components of the blower completely and the main control kept going crazy

now i have removed the control (Nissan call it "AC auto amp") and i will go drive in a bit to see if the battery keeps dieing

luckily the digital climate control is only $30 off ebay, the pathfinder one should work, right? (the G20 one also looks identical)

5933_1_b.JPG

my advice is to keep the dials! Less electronics to go haywire. (are the dials electronic or mechanical?) I'd switch to dials if it was an easy swap.

since removing the AC auto amp, my car has been starting first try (but weaker than normal)

how long do i need to drive around for, until the alternator fully charges the battery?

I've seen too many electronic units like that go bonkerz to even want anything to do with one. Ever.

Give me some good ol' reliable mechanical dials and levers and I'm set.

The less electronics to mess up, the better. And it's easier on your wallet. :aok:

since removing the AC auto amp, my car has been starting first try (but weaker than normal)

how long do i need to drive around for, until the alternator fully charges the battery?

Hour on the highway should be good if everything is working right. How old is the battery?

I've seen too many electronic units like that go bonkerz to even want anything to do with one. Ever.

Give me some good ol' reliable mechanical dials and levers and I'm set.

The less electronics to mess up, the better. And it's easier on your wallet. :aok:

I agree to an extent. I'd prefer that.... but I wanted leather seats more (family rig... for now). Can't get an LE without the auto A/C that I know of.

Hour on the highway should be good if everything is working right. How old is the battery?

the battery is around 2 years old. Its a generic Interstate.

ive done two drives so far 15 mins each. so not enough yet. but i am happy that at least its starting first try. Yesterday, it was taking me 5 or 6 tries before it would turn over strong enough to start.

well the 2 year old interstate battery was bad.... would not hold a charge. Alternator is in great condition 14.4v at all rpms. got a new wal-mart battery.

now, to plug the climate control back in and see if it behaves ....

can you believe the A/C gingcrazy was due to a bad battery?

the battery wouldnt hold a charge for 2 mins but the alternator is in great condition, im wondering why the AC went crazy even with the car getting 14.4V?

either way, problem solved with new battery

can you believe the A/C gingcrazy was due to a bad battery?

im wondering why the AC went crazy even with the car getting 14.4V?

Wouldn't have been my first guess, but not surprising at all. Your battery had a short, and was probably dragging the system voltage down to 12v or below even with the engine running. The battery may have also been throwing off electrical noise. Apparently the AC controller is very sensitive to low voltage/bad juice.

Edited by colinnwn