steering noises

Tosh

I don't know as much as i should about my pathfinder yet but when i take a full turn it'll sometimes make a loud clunking noise. And at times it is hard to steer. Any suggestions on what could be wrong? It's a 1993 se-v6 205,000 miles

and also when i was under my truck cleaning it i saw that there are rubber compression looking things beside the wheel that look like they had dry rotted and had grease covering the outside...not sure what they are either.haha is that a bad problem?

Sometimes the front frame to crossmember bolts need tightening. Those are the four bolts on the sides of the front diff crossmember. When they loosen up it will move slightly and make a popping or grating noise.

The turn stops for the knuckles can also make a grating metallic noise...there are plastic caps that go on the ends of the turn stops. After time they break and/or fall off, resulting in metal-on-metal contact which can produce noise when you turn the steering wheel all the way one direction or the other. Give them some more grease and see if the noise stops.

There could also be a problem with the tension rods (aka compression rods) that bolt to the frame and to your lower control arm in the front suspension. The tension rod bushings have a nasty habit of loosening up, then making the hole bigger and letting in water to create rust. This can cause some noise as well as loose or sloppy feeling suspension.

Hard turning can be an alignment issue or a steering box issue. I'd try to find the source of the noise first.

/\ What he said.

i saw that there are rubber compression looking things beside the wheel that look like they had dry rotted and had grease covering the outside...not sure what they are either.haha is that a bad problem?

Do you mean behind the wheel, like 3" in diameter, tapered and 5" long with a shaft going through it to the front differential? If so, these are your CV boots and sound like they are shot. They need to be replaced or your CV's will get chewed up from grit getting in. It won't affect anything if you do not use 4x4.

B

and also when i was under my truck cleaning it i saw that there are rubber compression looking things beside the wheel that look like they had dry rotted and had grease covering the outside...not sure what they are either.haha is that a bad problem?

Thanks i'll take a look at them this weekend and see what's up.

/\ What he said.

Do you mean behind the wheel, like 3" in diameter, tapered and 5" long with a shaft going through it to the front differential? If so, these are your CV boots and sound like they are shot. They need to be replaced or your CV's will get chewed up from grit getting in. It won't affect anything if you do not use 4x4.

B

Yeah thats what i saw and i do use 4 wheel drive alot so i'll get them replaced..is it hard to do yourself?

Yeah thats what i saw and i do use 4 wheel drive alot so i'll get them replaced..is it hard to do yourself?

Not to hard, somewhere on the forum the proceedure is wrote up. Basic run through: remove wheel, remove hub, remove brake caliper, undo upper ball joint, remove bolts between CV and front diff, yank out the shaft and replace the boots.

Not to hard, somewhere on the forum the proceedure is wrote up. Basic run through: remove wheel, remove hub, remove brake caliper, undo upper ball joint, remove bolts between CV and front diff, yank out the shaft and replace the boots.

oh ok one of my friends dad is a mechanic so he can help me with things like this.

oh ok one of my friends dad is a mechanic so he can help me with things like this.

well today it decided that it wasn't gonna go into 4 wheel drive and i learned it wasn't the hard way. it sounded like it went in but i went through the pudlle i always make through easy only my back wheels were goin. but luckily it was beside a road and someone stopped and pulled me out. policeman also stopped and i'm 15 and had friends buut he didn't ask any questions so it was all fine. but will any of the problems above cause it to not engage 4 wheel drive? i tried backing up 10 feet but it still didn't engage

Backing up disengages 4x4, rolling forward engages it. It sounds like your auto locking hubs are crapped up. Unbolt them and look for anything broken, clean all parts and moderately grease them. Reassemble and retest.

It's a really simple job, you don't even have to remove the wheel. I highly recommend you get a service manual, any is better than none, and download the FSM available via link here.

B

Backing up disengages 4x4, rolling forward engages it. It sounds like your auto locking hubs are crapped up. Unbolt them and look for anything broken, clean all parts and moderately grease them. Reassemble and retest.

It's a really simple job, you don't even have to remove the wheel. I highly recommend you get a service manual, any is better than none, and download the FSM available via link here.

B

well i'm thinking it's the CV's cause the boots are tore and it's making a popping noise when turning but i'll look into a service manual