axle seal

magregor

Do I need any special tools to replace the rear axle seal? I look through the manual and see all these special tools and even a press! well, I am sure like most of us backyard mechanics, we don't have such extravagant tools, so if anyone has had success in changing the axle seals, can you post some advice?

Thanks

Do I need any special tools to replace the rear axle seal? I look through the manual and see all these special tools and even a press! well, I am sure like most of us backyard mechanics, we don't have such extravagant tools, so if anyone has had success in changing the axle seals, can you post some advice?

Thanks

you shouldn't need a press to replace the grease seal. it is labor intensive though, because you have to remove the brake assembly and hub, then pull the axle. luckily, you don't need to open the differential.

I just looked it up because when I rotated the tires today, I saw I have a leak on the passenger side. Pretty much what Alex said, the seal is pried out and tapped in, just a bit of work to get there... :shrug:

B

my driver's side grease seal is leaking as well. my rear drum is saturated on the inside, and there's even residue on the exterior. there's no leak onto the ground or into the wheel, though. IMO, if it's not that bad, don't worry about it. before trying to replace the seal, i would just check the diff fluid level. if it's real low, then ya, replace the seal. but if it has only lost a little bit of fluid (if at all), i would just top it off and be done with it. at the most, i would just check the fluid level every other month or so.

I have the rear end out of the truck and sitting on some blocks with all drums and brake parts off :-) I am in the middle of a frame up restore on the beast, so I guess this would be a good time to replace the seal...I guess after welding the entire frame (completely rusted out), an axle seal is a pi$$ hole in the snowbank :itsallgood:

Just wanted to make sure I didn't need a press to separate the axle from the outer bearings to get at the grease seal...thanks guys :-)

Oh, well, in that case, you are almost done and haven't started the job yet... :D

my rear drum is saturated on the inside, and there's even residue on the exterior. there's no leak onto the ground or into the wheel, though.

That's exactly what mine is doing. I'll replace it in spring when everything dries out though. I don't want a leak there and with my luck, it'll get worse quickly at the most inconvenient time... :shrug:

B

I have the rear end out of the truck and sitting on some blocks with all drums and brake parts off :-) I am in the middle of a frame up restore on the beast, so I guess this would be a good time to replace the seal...I guess after welding the entire frame (completely rusted out), an axle seal is a pi$$ hole in the snowbank :itsallgood:

Just wanted to make sure I didn't need a press to separate the axle from the outer bearings to get at the grease seal...thanks guys :-)

you'll need a sliding hammer to remove the axle from the housing, but the grease seal is in the hub, which separates from the axle tube/housing with 4(?) bolts. just take a hammer and screwdriver (though a brass punch is recommended) to pop out the old seal from behind, but take care when installing the new one. it's pretty straightforward, and it sounds like you know the basics. good luck!

I could come and give you a hand with it if you want...

we used a piece of pipe and deadblow(rubber) hammer when we did a buddies not too long ago. the pipe evenly distributes the load so the seal goes in straight.

I wonder if a dent puller-type sliding hammer would be good enough...I have lots of brass drifts (I inherited all of my father's tools...he was a heavy duty mechanic for 40 years and now has a desk job)...I could rig up a puller on the axle hub and fab a fastener to the puller I suppose. I guess it is to Nissan this week and pick up an axle seal :-)

B that was a front axle seal

:rolleyes:

Ok, how is this?? ;)

BCA/NATIONAL Part # 710245 More Info {Oil Seal / Acrylates / Shaft Size=1.654" Housing Bore=2.992" Outer Diameter=2.996" Width=0.551"}

Rear Axle; Outer; Nissan H233BS

Part Image

$15.03 $0.00 $15.03

B

Picked up the seal today...17 bucks at NAPA...I have the axle out and there was no problems. I haven't changed the seal yet, but I want to take time and clean up the surfaces really well so the shim/gasket doesn't leak after all that work of taking it apart. NOW...stupid question...I see a rubber seal in the axle housing, but there must be one on the outside to seal the bearings...I figured the one I need to change is on the outside of the bearing and not the one in the axle tube...I set the axle upright (studs facing down) on a couple of blocks, took the locking washer/retainer nut off the axle and took a dead blow hammer to try and pound the bearing race out of the axle...not moving very nice! P... Is this the right way to go about getting the axle off the bearing race??

the right way is to use a press, but as long as you're certain you're not damaging the shaft, then go for it. just make sure it comes off straight.

the axle has an inner and outer grease seal. you're only replacing the outer grease seal - the one in the hub.