31" Tire Pressure--for regular street driving

Camera1

My '95 SE has the factory off road package, I have the 31" tires and have been running them at 26psi (Cold). I went to one of those oil change places and they filled up my tires up to 40psi. I drove around a bit to see what it felt like, Fred Flintstones car with the stone wheels. I pulled out the owners manual, read the tag in the door, and had them deflate the tire to recommended 26psi COLD the next day. At the shop nobody knew what DECOUPLING in a Raidial tire is. I only had to drive about 5 miles to get to the place so the tires didn't get a chance to heat up. It was free so I didn't have to pay 75cents to run around and try get my pressure corrected before the air compressure stops at the gas station! For the street, just normal driving conditions, what pressure yields the best results? Radial Tires role best a proper air presure, I'm looking for the best contact patch. I don't want to OVERINFLATE or UNDERINFLATE. I do know that a loaded vehicle may need more pressure. The correct tire PSI is one of the most important factors on MPH, and handling. It feels ok now, these tires have a lot of tread I want them last. --15" stock rims, DUNLOP RV RADIAL ROVER 31 x 10.5. I was surprised that any shop guy would try to put in so much air over the factory spec. To people who used to, or who are currently running 31's, what works best? I have been the owner for about 3000 miles (since December '08) and I so far don't notice any uneven wear. The previous owner just got them before selling it to me. He said he ran it at 26psi as well.

32 front, 30 rear is what I ran with 31' tires. Is it the best? I don't know, but it seemed to balance ride and handling. No odd wear issues.

B

I'm goin' with 30psi cold--it seems to heat up well. I didn't think of a couple of lbs more in the front. Thanks.

I've always ran my 31's @ 32psi. When I got the tires mounted originally, the shop had the pressure @ 26psi. Yes, too squishy! That's usually what I ran the tires @ while off-roading. Didn't want to go too much lower without having beadlocks. By the time you're on the road for awhile, you check the psi & I bet you'd be up around 35-37psi due to the heat.