Help! Huge rust hole in wheel well

kegard

Hi all!

I recently bought a 98 Pathfinder and took it to a shop to look at the shocks. The tech told me that the front driver's side has such a big rust hole, that when there is actually movement/flex when you lift the wheel in the strut mount.

I took some pictures of the inside of the wheel well. Also if you look at the strut mount from the inside of the engine bay, there is a couple cracks where you can actually see the ground. I don't think you can tell too well in my pics though.

Is this fixable? I have no idea how long it's been like this. How long until it's a major problem? I'm wondering if someone could with metal fabrication could make some sort of bracing.

img9307ol4.th.jpg

img9305rt9.th.jpg

img9301kn2.th.jpg

img9309wv8.th.jpg

img9308kw9.th.jpg

img9307uy4.th.jpg

img9305xf6.th.jpg

img9304lg9.th.jpg

img9302lw6.th.jpg

img9301ox9.th.jpg

That is something that needs to be fixed ASAP. If it breaks off along the rest of the upper strut mount, that means it sends your strut and tire towards the hood, and sends you pulling to the right into a ditch or worse. I am surprised the mechanic did not say quit driving it, if the whole mount flexes because of the rust hole that is very scary stuff.

That being said someone with some patience and a good base knowledge of metal fabrication should be able to cut and patch that well enough. I imagine it would be costly to get it fixed though. Good luck and hope it works out for you.

I'm just shocked at how bad it is and the location. Is this a common rust area on the pathy?

Do these things come with plastic fender liners typically?

Yes, they do. I have never heard of anyone else with this issue, and certainly not as bad as this. Scary.

same thing happened on my freinds 240sx and shortly after the whole strut tower broke and went through the hood. So you should decide to fix it soon or junk it. very unsafe he went flying into the ditch because the tire went up so high in the wheel well and was like a brake on one side since it got stuck in the wheel well. Be very carefull scary @!*%

I wonder if I have any legal recourse going after the guy who sold it to me. He was the only owner of it, and I can't imagine he wouldn't have known about it. Of course, he could always plead ignorance. Just if it is that potentially hazerdous, I'm pissed he didn't mention it.

same thing happened on my freinds 240sx and shortly after the whole strut tower broke and went through the hood. So you should decide to fix it soon or junk it. very unsafe he went flying into the ditch because the tire went up so high in the wheel well and was like a brake on one side since it got stuck in the wheel well. Be very carefull scary @!*%

Update: Took it to a body shop, who contacted the Nissan dealership. They can still get the side skirt section. Total cost for the shop to fix this is about $1000.

That's more then I wanted to spend, after already spending about $1000 on it. I ended up cutting my losses and selling it.