Headers

180sx

Has any one tried to see if these would 'fit' onour R50's? haven't read any where about these (or maybe i didn't search hard enough?). And by 'fit' i mean clear eveything to build a custom exhaust off of.

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/product_in...roducts_id=4879

Edited by 180sx

Has any one tried to see if these would 'fit' onour R50's? haven't read any where about these (or maybe i didn't search hard enough?). And by 'fit' i mean clear eveything to build a custom exhaust off of.

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/product_in...roducts_id=4879

I asked AC in an e-mail back in September but never got any reply... :scratchhead:

I don't see why they wouldn't work but I'd hate to spend the money just to find out they don't. :lol:

Yea, I was thinking they would fit. I know they would fit the block just fine, but just wondering if they would hit anything on the chassis or what not. If I'm going to build my full exhaust, it would be nice not to have to spend 1200 on a custom set of headers.

I think if they did fit, you'd have to fab up a set of new cats since the stock cats come in right where the stock manifold ends. I wish someone knew though because I know for a fact I have a cracked manifold and if there are other reasonably priced options besides stock, I'd consider it.

Well, the exhaust I plan on is still in development. But so far it's looking like it'll be headers, then from them 1.80" piping into dual cats (maybe, I don't have emissions testing here, but the 02's pose a problem), then 2" out of those to mufflers, have an 'H' pipe inbetween the mufflers and cats, and 2" out of those to 2.5" tips. I'm still looking for a junked VG head to look at the exhaust ports to determine if this will effect the scavaging of the stock exhaust.

Edited by 180sx

• 2 weeks later...
"Dernt" has a set of Stillen headers on his VG R50...IIRC he didn't experience the power gain he expected but the exhaust after the headers plays quite an important role also. PM him, or maybe he'll chime in.

I've been away for a while. 02Silver is right on. I dynoed before and after with the Stillens and I had 138 RWHP both times. I also have the Stillen cold air intake which draw cold air from outside of the engine compartment, not one of these make shift underhood psuedo CAI. The intake was on both pre and post header dyno. I have stock mufflers, but I really can't imagine a muffler making all that much difference. Please don't chime in telling me how much more power you "feel" from your Flowmaster or Dynomax. Your car is louder and the rattling has affected your perception. If you have some quantification (dyno results) I'd like to hear it.

Save your cash, or spend it on something to make your rig more offroad capable. You aren't going to turn one of these into a street sleeper. Go with a spring lift kit if you don't already have one, or save up more money for an ARB locker.

My 2 cents.

Stillen headers are junk, atleast on the maxima's. If you google I'm sure you'll find a ton of posts. Hotshot(holeshot?) and cattman made headers for the 3.5l maxima's. I had the hotshot's on mine. With just the headers, stock exhaust, and kn intake, I put down 234 to the wheels.

I don't think hotshot is still around but definitely look into cattman. I know the engine configuration is different, but they may make something for the pathfinder.

The reason headers for Xterras won't work is that the R50 has pre-cats at the ends of the exhaust manifolds. There's a big round flange on the pre-cat that bolts to the mannies. They don't even come close to fitting. Take a look under your hood some time, you'll see what I mean.

The reason headers for Xterras won't work is that the R50 has pre-cats at the ends of the exhaust manifolds. There's a big round flange on the pre-cat that bolts to the mannies. They don't even come close to fitting. Take a look under your hood some time, you'll see what I mean.

The headers I had replaced manifolds, precats and y-pipe with headers and y-pipe. Ditched the precats.

install_b_209.jpg

Edited by jimmycapp

That's a pretty solid set-up. Custom fabbed? :scratchhead:

Cattman

These guys make them, though theyre for a sidways motor.

I don;t see them on their site, but I've talked to the guy before, seems pretty cool. Give him a call, and see if he's got anything.

The stock manifolds and precats weigh a ton too.

Cattman

These guys make them, though theyre for a sidways motor.

I don;t see them on their site, but I've talked to the guy before, seems pretty cool. Give him a call, and see if he's got anything.

The stock manifolds and precats weigh a ton too.

Thanks for the link. :aok:

I'd love a set-up like you've got but keep in mind you have the VQ35DE in your Pathy; I've got the VG33E. :shrug:

I'm not worried about this as I would be removing the pre-cats off the manifold.

So I've been talking to some people about exhaust setups (a lot of *gasp* V8 guys, and some exhaust fabbers here) and have come down to this. If the Xterra headers fit, then they would feed into 1.75" ID piping, into 2" inlet/outlet cats, out 1.75" into dual mufflers (Magnaflow 6" round, 18" long, 2" inlet/outlet) and 2" the res of the way ending with 2.5" tips. Doubt I'll gain any real power at all at peak, but hoping this will help with some low-mid range even just a little.

But as long as I don't lose any power and it sounds plain bad ass, I'll be happy :tongue:

Save your cash, or spend it on something to make your rig more offroad capable. You aren't going to turn one of these into a street sleeper. Go with a spring lift kit if you don't already have one, or save up more money for an ARB locker.

I agree, to hell with 10+(possible)hp. I say use that money for some lockers too!