97 camry brakes to the floor

unccpathfinder

So my neighbor has a problem with her brakes they go to the floor...the 1st thing I did was bled the entire system b/c she replaced her shoes and this did not correct the problem....so I wasnt able to build up pressure with the vehicle running but off as normal they will stiffen up...I checked the MC and didnt see any leaking but we replaced it anyways b/c that was the only thing I could see is it had gone bad but wasnt leaking out of the weep hole yet...

So last night we replaced that and bled them (i need to go back today and bleed them again b/c i think there is still some air) but the brakes do the same thing still with the exception of if you pump the pedal about 5-10 times while the car is running you now get some pressure but it will slowly go to the floor

she has about 50% pad left on the pads up front and the rotors were replaced when the pads were (not turned)...they said the rear solenoids werent leaking (i'm going to verify tonight b/c i thought of that in the middle of the night last night)

The car doesnt have ABS b/c i thought it may be the abs valve trapping air but from what she said and the napa guy said it doesnt have ABS and i couldnt find a valve for it

I bench bled the MC the best I could but those crappy nipples never seat right but I'm pretty confident all the air is out of the MC not so sure all the air is out of the lines but pretty sure its close

the booster is getting plenty of vacuum and I don't think it is leaking but have no way to verify

Any suggestions would help b/c i feel bad that she got the new MC and right now its not looking like that was the problem but I don't know what else it could be

Thanks

pretty sure that new of a toyota will have abs but maybe not. Something definantly isnt right. you cant see any spots on the driveway or whatever? Are you there the lines are full? maybe one of the line has a kink or a clog in it so its not filling up all the way. idk im guessing..

Edited by edicer2

did you check the banjo bolts for tightness? i had a loose one and it puked fluid all over the caliper and wheel because it wasn't completely tight

I get fluid out of every bleeder so i ruled out a clog

There are no leaks that I have been able to find throughout the system

pretty sure that new of a toyota will have abs but maybe not.

Yea that's what I thought but I guess there's an option for ABS in this year so i double checked it on napaonline:

Brake Master Cylinder - Remfd

w/ ABS Brakes w/o Traction Control TS

$81.49

Core $16.70

Brake Master Cylinder - Remfd

w/o ABS Brakes TS

$81.49

Core $22.20

If the new MC works as it should and there are no leaks (lines, rear WS, front calipers, etc) then there must be air in the system. I can't think of anything else right now... :shrug:

B

that's my thought too. maybe he's pushing the old liquid out still..

it could be a bad MC.

that's my thought too. maybe he's pushing the old liquid out still..

fluid is pretty clean on all 4 wheels as I've bled through about a half of a big bottle of brake fluid...I'm going to stop at Autozone on the way home and see if htey have a vacuum pump i can get as a loaner and see if that helps out

I would have continued to bleed it last night but they both have to get up at like 4am and it was already about 8 30 so they were ready to go to bed... they're going to try to rebleed it this afternoon before i get home from work so i guess we'll see what happens...if they're still workign on it when i get home I guess i'll continue to bleed b/c I alike think there's still air somewhere trapped

its rear drums...yea i've been using the clear tube...what I don't know is if maybe the threads on the bleeders are letting some air in there...

I was thinking that too but they seem to be adjusted pretty good but it wouldnt hurt to double check it esp since tonight if they don't have it worked out i'll check the solenoids and everything to make sure theres no leaks to be 100% sure

check the rear drums. if there is too much wear or if they aren't adjusted to touch the drums the system would be losing all its pressure pushing those pads too far.

Definitely check the drms. Fluid could also be leaking in to the drum from the plungers and it would take a while for it to leak out from there before it would be noticed.

well they found a leaky solenoid (wheel cylinder) and replaced both...the shoes are adjusted properly but by the time i got home they had been on it for about 2 hours and were frustrated...getting a vaccum pump tomorrow from their friend so hopefully this is finished..they wouldnt even let me help...but from the feel of it i'm pretty convinced its air in the lines

OMFG i'm going to pour gas on this car and &^%*ing burn it to the ground...

4 hours...well hour 2 i realized that the manufacturer had crossthreaded a bleeder screw so it was sucking air (thanks vacuum pump for working then) well they won't refund b/c i obviously sheared the threads off...wtf ever $10 more for a new 1...so at this point before getting the solenoid off the brakes were getting much better...well i get the new one and get it on...getting rained on off and on this whole time

well the &^%*ing vacuum pump works when it wants to and i cannot figure out what i do to it to make it work from time to time...i'm 4 hours into it and i'm going to grab lunch. a beer and go back through the desert and hit the mud holes...

they can worry with this @!*% later...i've about had it

Thank Gods you weren't doing anything complicated, like changing a tire or filling the radiator... :D

Glad you found the problem. You are almost done. Take a break and then wrap it up...

B

well once again they werent concerned...i had some beers at the Xspot then ended up at the airport for a while...then ended up at the moose lodge until a while ago...the desert is going to be fun tomorrow...i've got a list of folks who want to go muddin' so if her car doesnt cooperate in the morning then eff it i got my own prerogative...go muddin then go climb the rocks right out of town and get to the top of that mountain...